My ph is very low with Ada Africana! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question My ph is very low with Ada Africana!

Hello everyone! I set up a 45L (aproximately 15G) tank with ada africana some time ago. I cycled it, and i had a ph of 6.8-6.9.
This was perfect for caridina tigers, so i ordered some. The pH was quite stable, so i didn't measured much, until today, when i recieved my blue tigers.
before putting them in, i checed the pH, and then i was shoked : it was 5.5!

I have the same problem with my Ada Amazonia tank, but Africana was supposed to have a very low effect on PH.
What do you guys think about that? is it normal?

my tap water has a 7Ph, 0-1KH, 0GH, and TDS around 40. I remineralize it with gh/kh+ to aproximately KH2/GH6, TDS 150-250 (typically 180-200).
Is it because of my very low KH?

What soil would you recommend to have a "normal" ph, 6.5-7?
i measured all my tanks, and i either have very low ph (5.5 or less) or high ph (7.4+), so this is really annoying!

I have some akadama double line that i have not used yet, but i fear that it will be the same again...
(by the way, no CO2 in any of my tanks; and no air stone altough some have an air driven filter)

sky99
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 09:46 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Luky you, you have very soft water. Your pH is so low because you have no kH left. You can use baking soda to bring it up, to, say around 5-6 for shrimp. Or look into gH booster products.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

....and I'll post the recipe for you.

Sodium Bicarbonate for an increase of 1 dKH

1 tsp/ 60 gallons
1/2 tsp/ 30 gallons
1/4 tsp/ 15 gallons
1/8 tsp/ 7.5 gallons
1/16 tsp/ 3.75 gallons
1/32 tsp/ 1.875 gallons

You're right about the BTs too. They prefer the high end of what most other caridinas prefer, or more likely lower range neo parameters. It really just depends on the parameters they were kept in prior to you receiving them. Either way, it's safe to say you'll want at least a KH of 2. I wouldn't fuss over pH now that you are cycled. Bringing the KH up to 2 will naturally raise the pH as well.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Luky you, you have very soft water. Your pH is so low because you have no kH left. You can use baking soda to bring it up, to, say around 5-6 for shrimp. Or look into gH booster products.
Indeed..I'd love to have that tap water lol.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 10:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
my tap water has a 7Ph, 0-1KH, 0GH, and TDS around 40. I remineralize it with gh/kh+ to aproximately KH2/GH6, TDS 150-250 (typically 180-200).
Is it because of my very low KH?
The cause of your low pH is your GH booster. All Gh boosters on the market calcium / Magnesium sulfate or chloride. Plants need a lot of calcium and magnesium but a lot less sulfur and chloride. So as the plants consume Ca and Mg some sulfur and chloride will be left behind and this will cause the PH to drop. With your tap water at 0GH you must use the GH booster. So you need to find a way of neutralizing the sulfur and chloride acids in your tank.

Quote:
(by the way, no CO2 in any of my tanks; and no air stone altough some have an air driven filter)
Since you are not using CO2 you can add some sea shells or crushed coral to your filter or your substrate. Shells coral are made from calcium carbonate Calcium carbonate will dissolve in acidic water but will not in water with a PH above 7. I have a RO water tank with a GH booster. PH is typically 6.5 but it can very depending on plant growth. Overall PH stays within the range of about 6.4 to 7.2. I have never seen it go above 7.2. Your shrimp will do fine in these conditions. 1/4 cup of Shells or coral will last years in your tank. Another option is to use dolomite instead of shells or coral. Dolomite is mineral made of of a mix or of calcium and magnesium carbonate.

If you had CO2 you would have to use sodium bicarbonate and potassium bicarbonate and you would have to be careful as to how much you use. because it can push the ph well above 7.5 if you add too much. Calcium and magnesium carbonate don't work well in CO2 tanks because the CO2 will cause it to continuously dissolve and your water will get very hard.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
The cause of your low pH is your GH booster. All Gh boosters on the market calcium / Magnesium sulfate or chloride. Plants need a lot of calcium and magnesium but a lot less sulfur and chloride. So as the plants consume Ca and Mg some sulfur and chloride will be left behind and this will cause the PH to drop. With your tap water at 0GH you must use the GH booster. So you need to find a way of neutralizing the sulfur and chloride acids in your tank.
Huh? Shrimps need minerals. These are provided via GH+. Some even use KH/GH+ (like OP) for remineralizing r/o water for tiger/neocaridina shrimps for the added carbonates needed in the water. This works great with inert substrates. However, this substrate is stripping the carbonates from the KH/GH+ remineralizer that the OP is using. GH would have nothing to do with that.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 11:49 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Sodium sulfate is a base
Sodium chloride is nutral
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 12:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Sodium sulfate is a base
Sodium chloride is nutral
That is incorrect. Both are salts and PH neutral. Also Sodium sulfate and sodium chloride are typically not part of any GH booster you can buy.

Quote:
Huh? Shrimps need minerals. These are provided via GH+.
The typical aquarium Needs about 1ppm of phosphate in the water. Plants need about as much sulfur as as phosphates Plants only need 0.1ppm chlorine which is about 1/10 of the phosphate need. Plants need significantly more more calcium and magnesium than phosphate.

1 degrees of GH is about 17ppm if you add 17ppm of calcium sulfate (a common GH ingredient) to your tank you would get 17ppmm Ca but you would also get 13.6ppm of sulfur at the same time. In my experience adding just enough GH for your plants you will get only a small PH change. However two degrees of Gh will have a signifiant affect on pH. My substrate is inert and my PH is typically 6.5. However if I remove the snail shells from my filter the PH will quickly drop to less than 6. Most people recommend aaminimum of 4GH for shrimp which is about 50ppm of calcium and magnesium and almost as much sulfur.

Last edited by Surf; 05-29-2018 at 04:57 AM. Reason: spelling
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ADA Malaya and Africana have the biggest impact on the pH with Malaya the one with the biggest impact.

http://www.adana.co.jp/en/aquajournal/archives/69

I have Malaya and the pH of my tank goes below 6, with tap water at pH 7,6 and KH2. They "eat" the KH and then after many days or weeks, you have KH below zero and the pH goes down.

Both don't release much nutrients in the water, they are different than the Amazonia.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode