Buying Rocks/Stones in Japan - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Buying Rocks/Stones in Japan

Hi awesome people,

I'm traveling to Japan next month. I was wondering if anyone knows if there will be any issues buying rocks there (eg. Seiryu/Ryuoh Rocks), and traveling back with them in my check-in luggage.

I live in Australia by the way.

Thanks heaps in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 12:47 PM
Algae Grower

You may be in for an issue. Not sure though.

I had a friend who was shipping a couple of trucks over there and they had to be CLEAN! I mean NO dirt, no organic matter whatsoever. They were stopped at customs and almost denied entry because someone found some dirt up behind one of the shocks!

I don't know how they are about rocks, but it became incredibly obvious that they don't like soil from other countries. I would check before doing it. I mean, more so than asking on an online fish tank forum (no disrespect), but this is something uncommon, but could be serious. Good luck!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 01:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
From the friends I have that go there, and a brother of mine spending the last 4 months there I can say you will have a hard time leaving with anything organic as it's against the law. I have only been able to get dry goods.

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 03:51 PM
Planted Member

Taking organic things is usually denied by customs (being in the U.S. the general policy is unless it's something refined you probably will be stopped by customs) things like live plants, natural stones (unless refined or in very small size/quantities), animals, soil, etc. Will not be allowed through customs. Honestly I would contact your airport to see what their policies are on customs for Australia and see if it would be an issue on your side or Japan's side for you to do something like that rather than asking the fish forum. I can say from my own experiences traveling out of country and back to the U.S. I've never tried something like that because it would be a hassle to get through customs. I deal with refined stones for my business for the reason that if I have to order something from outside the U.S. refined pieces are much easier to pass through customs.

Life without an aquarium is just flat out boring, Unfortunately like most in the hobby I'm highly susceptible to Multiple-Tank-itis.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 04:00 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
And rocks are considered to be organic?

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 04:20 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by auscape View Post
Hi awesome people,

I'm traveling to Japan next month. I was wondering if anyone knows if there will be any issues buying rocks there (eg. Seiryu/Ryuoh Rocks), and traveling back with them in my check-in luggage.

I live in Australia by the way.

Thanks heaps in advance.
Hi auscape
I will be bringing a few rocks to Melbourne from overseas (eastern Europe) second week of June. I have collected some in the old quarry near my parents holiday house, so these rocks cost me nothing. I will let you know how it goes.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
A quick look at the definition of "organic" can get confusing!! There seems a wide range of thinking on what the term means. To me, it means "carbon bearing" so pretty much anything that has ever been living would be organic. Does that mean a sedimentary rock composed of formerly living creatures like limestone would be organic? That is likely to depend on which guy you find at customs on that special day!
My personal view would be that it is likely to be a fun project but also may be more trouble than worth it. Rocks are prone to having dirt in/on them and the thought of lugging a box of rocks around , only to have them lost on inspection, makes me want to take a hike in my own country. There is certainly no shortage of rocks in OZ, so I see little value in pressing the issue to get much the same rock from Japan.
I have more fun on the hike than I get in lugging a box of rocks around!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
I believe rocks are considered "organic" in this context anyway as far a import/export.

As mentioned it's not worth the risk.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 12:38 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Just for fun .. A steel blade is organic as it contains carbon.
Officer, I got shanked with a carrot!

I agree with @PlantedRich: we import enough from the East (and South and West) to lug rocks back home. Go American! (or Australian).
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Shanked with a carrot? Better than BEET to death. The beet makes such a bloody looking wound!
Photo of the weapon:
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...DywQ_B0IowMwEw
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your answers, guess I'll buy locally.

Does anyone know where I can buy affordable Seiryu/Ryuoh Rocks in Melbourne, or online in Australia?

Thanks.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 11:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

problem is taking the rocks into australia. Its fine to take plants/rocks out of Japan... I've done quite a few times by now.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
I dont all the laws, but you are running a risk everytime you purchase or take something from another country that is organic, that includes even buying plants online overseas if the proper documentation isnít provided. If you get stopped at the airport YOU are the importer and will always run the risk of being tagged an illegal importer which can lead to additional searches, home inspection, etc.

Not worth it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode