found flourite online - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
found flourite online

i found flourite online and i think that it is a pretty good price. i was thinking i would order 2 7 kg bags (~31 lb total).

i have a 20g long. would this be enough or not enough?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
I recently used four bags in a standard size 55g (48x12.5") and would think three would be better for a 20L (30x12.5")
the bag size I used was 15.4 pounds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Plantedtank has this nifty substrate calculator:
https://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html

Then you can decide how deep you want it; normal depth for planted tank is 2-3 inches, I believe.

Joy to the fishes!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Good one! hiding under the articles tab. I need a web break LOL
it's been so long since I left the forum section I forgot all about it.
Thanks for the reminder.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks

i will check out the calculator.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ok, so i just measured the tank and apparently i have a 20g high, not long... i guess that is what i get for getting a used tank and not doing the measurements! haha! at least we didn't make a stand yet.

i entered the numbers into the calculator and said i wanted it 3 inches deep and it came back saying 31 lbs. hopefully i will be able to make an order soon. i have to double check on the delivery charges...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
I buy my flourite from Foster&Smith because of the flat-rate shipping. Their prices aren't the absolute best, but it works, especially if you put multiple items in a single order. If you find it for cheaper, lemme know!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i just checked out the foster&smith site but i don't think it will work for me. i live in canada, newfoundland to be specific. i think that the shipping to me will be outrageous.

i am planning to order from petsandponds.com. it is a canadian site. the flourite is 33.98 (cheaper than foster&smith at 16.99/bag) plus 22.99 shipping. it all comes to 56.97. i am not sure if there is more shipping besides that. i will have to call someone. i live in a small town pretty far off the main highway.

thanks for your help though!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Sorry, should have checked location. I wish I knew more about Canadian sites. But there's got to be a couple megastores that offer flat rate shipping, right? I ordered black sand flourite last time, which was a couple bucks more than the regular, four 15.4lb bags. The total came to i think $96 with shipping ($9). Obviously that isn't an option for you, but if you can find a flat rate site without bulk item fees, you win.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
i have a 20 gallon long and 2 bags of flourite was more than enough. you'll have extra guaranteed.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks

that is a flat rate... i just have to get a hold of them to see if there is anything besides before i make an order. that site is a really good one, as far as i can tell. but, anything that comes to newfoundland has to come on the ferry and the extra shipping is always high. everything is more expensive here. (food, gas, everything!)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 03:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy View Post
...anything that comes to newfoundland has to come on the ferry and the extra shipping is always high. everything is more expensive here. (food, gas, everything!)
But then again, you live in a stunning location that's a dream vacation for most people. I'd go back to NFL in a heartbeat.

Make sure you check out petsandponds.com. They have the lowest prices of any Canadian online retailer I know (no idea about the shipping rates, though). They carry the new Fluval plant stratum. It's pricier than Fluorite, but it's almost comparable to ADA Aquasoil in terms of performance.

Tony

My

and my

Last edited by TLE041; 01-27-2011 at 12:59 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks! that is where i am planning to order from

i love it here in newfoundland and i will never move away again! are you from newfoundland or did you just visit here? what area of the island have you visited? i am from corner brook but now live in baie verte. the west coast is the prettiest part of the island (in my unbiased opinion heehee!)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy View Post
i just checked out the foster&smith site but i don't think it will work for me. i live in canada, newfoundland to be specific. i think that the shipping to me will be outrageous.

i am planning to order from petsandponds.com. it is a canadian site. the flourite is 33.98 (cheaper than foster&smith at 16.99/bag) plus 22.99 shipping. it all comes to 56.97. i am not sure if there is more shipping besides that. i will have to call someone. i live in a small town pretty far off the main highway.

thanks for your help though!
Florite is a Amazon prime product ($26.48 per 15lb bag) you can get it shipped 2nd day free if you sign up for the service ($75 a year).

Proud member of the
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradac56 View Post
Florite is a Amazon prime product ($26.48 per 15lb bag) you can get it shipped 2nd day free if you sign up for the service ($75 a year).
i live in canada.

and, that price is pretty much what i would pay to get 2 bags shipped to me here from a canadian company with 22.99 shipping! that is $10 more a bag than the place i am going to buy it from! and then i don't have to pay the extra $75.

but, thank you for letting me know

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode