need to change out the substrate- Help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
need to change out the substrate- Help!

Well, I need some advice...

I have a non-planted tank with a gravel base that is working well (cycled, 35 cardinals/neons, stable...). I would like to replace the existing gravel with flourite.

My thought was to siphon out the existing gravel over several water changes and then SLOWLY add flourite into the tank. I can cycle the new flourite in a tank with the "used" water from the changes to keep the tank functioning as I add the new substrate.

Any opinions?

Dan K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 04:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
It would be better to put the fish in another container (big plastic thing would work) with the current water + heater & filtration and redo the tank from scratch. No matter what you do your going to cloud the hell out of your water when taking out the old *and* putting in the new and it's easier on the fish.

There's no magic bullet to a planted tank it's better to do it right the first time and save yourself the extra work of trying half-measures down the line.

Proud member of the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 05:22 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is what I do... Set up a 5 gallon bucket with a h.o.b filter and heater and air stone. Fill it up with aquarium water and bam.. Instant fish hotel!

Move your fish.. They will be happy you did! Rescape your aquarium and let the plants take root, after that move fishes back to their remodeled home!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (51/100%)
I scooped out all of the old substrate that I can with the use of a Lee-s-Multi-Purpose-3-Way-Breeders that has the slits on the side. I used a hose to suction all of the remaining substrate.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode