Help with sand substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with sand substrate

I am fairly new to the fishkeeping world, so I am still in the process of learning a great deal about fish and plant care. I set up a new 30g tank about four days ago and added 25lb of CaribSea Super Naturals sand

I added a few ferns, some mondo grass, umbrella plants, and a couple mystery plants. Then I started looking for info on keeping plants in sand substrates and I haven't found anything very reassuring. Is it impossible for plants to thrive in this type of substrate? Are there any pointers anyone can give me? I'd prefer not to change substrates, but if I have to I'd really like to keep a white sand substrate like I have, if at all possible. Any pointers would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'm curious about this myself. I've heard of using soil and capping with sand. I wonder how pure sand works.

"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Seeing as it's not nutrient rich substrate, you might consider looking into/researching fertilizer pellets that you can stuff into the sand and a fert regime for the water column. Beyond that, I'm just as much a Newb and anyone!!

I'm setting up a tank now and looked into similar options. I've decided to either put sand over my Amazonia substrate or have a partitioned tank. Two options that may have come late for you. Good luck!

Matt

My South
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

6g Eclipse
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-CRS & RCS
Sunsun Pimp # 43

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"
-The Late, Great Colonel Sanders-

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, what a read a few days ago was that sand doesn't allow for nutrients or gases from above to reach the roots that are bellow the sand. I think someone said that I should poke the sand every once in awhile to help gases get to the roots, or something to that effect. But then I also read somewhere else that I shouldn't disturb the sand because gases from below the sand produced by the anaerobic bacteria could kill all the fish in the tank if they are released. So, I'm looking for a little direction because I have all this information coming from all over and I don't know what I really should be doing D:
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Planted Member

I completely understand. I'm in a very similar spot. Good luck and I look forward to seeing other responses. I'll do some research as well and see if I can post links to what I find.

Matt

My South

6g Eclipse
-CRS & RCS
Sunsun Pimp # 43

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Planted Member

Here's just a few to start. I'm looking for more. The second one might be more on point. The first covers sand ON a nutrient rich soil.

https://www.plantedtank.net/articles/Sand-Substrate/20/

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...substrate.html

My South

6g Eclipse
-CRS & RCS
Sunsun Pimp # 43

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Planted Member

Very brief bout of searching. Much more info there. Can't talk more. I've said too much.

*Quickly gets up, whilst looking back and forth, and disappears like a fart in sandstorm...*

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...ad.php?t=82186

http://www.theplantedtankfaq.com/substrateFAQ.html

Matt

My South

6g Eclipse
-CRS & RCS
Sunsun Pimp # 43

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gookis View Post
Here's just a few to start. I'm looking for more. The second one might be more on point. The first covers sand ON a nutrient rich soil.

https://www.plantedtank.net/articles/Sand-Substrate/20/

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...substrate.html
Thanks for looking into that for me

I'm still not completely confident with how to tackle my situation because I really don't want to mix my sand with planting gravel, like the person did in the first link. I think it looks kind of strange..

Has anyone had any experience with the Seachem Flourish Tabs?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Tablet fertilizers are good.

Mondo Grass is not an under water plant. It will die slowly, not grow.
There are not many ferns that are OK under water, and the few that are should not be planted in the substrate. Java Fern and Bolbitis.
If you can post pictures of the mystery plants, and the umbrella plant perhaps someone can ID them.

Many house plants will barely survive under water for a while, and there are stores that will sell them as aquarium plants. :-(

As long as the sand is not too deep there should not be problems with anaerobic pockets forming. Under 2" is good for most grades of sand.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 02:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Check out my sig. I didn't use that sand. I used silica sand from home depot. Doesn't look that bad. Its whiter than the sand at the lfs.

...DIY co2 sucks
...ricca sucks
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordztech View Post
Check out my sig. I didn't use that sand. I used silica sand from home depot. Doesn't look that bad. Its whiter than the sand at the lfs.
I was thinking of doing exactly what you did with the plant gravel but I really wasn't digging the idea of spending another $20 on substrate. I already paid $25 on my sand from Petsmart D: I may just have to suck it up. I guess it's better paying $20 more on substrate than buying new plants after mine die.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 04:38 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

As long as the sand is not too deep there should not be problems with anaerobic pockets forming. Under 2" is good for most grades of sand.

Ive read that sand under 2" prevents the dead zones but shouldn't plants be planted in at least 3" of substrate??

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode