Sand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Sand

I've seen river sand mentioned frequently. If I understand correctly, it's fairly coarse as far as sand goes. But I live in Florida and on a tidal river. Our "soil" IS sand. It doesn't have so much salt that it impedes terrestrial plant growth but if I rinsed well, could I use it in an aquarium? If so, could I use it exclusively or should I be looking at it as a cap for top soil?

"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I'd say you would have to rinse it pretty well. but it may have quite a bit of nutrients...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 04:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've used sand literally from a riverbed locally, and you can find all sorts of grain sizes in a river. I used fairly fine sand, and just rinsed it like I would gravel from the store. I had good luck. You may try a test sample in a glass jar to watch for salinity/pH problems, but I think you will probably be okay. An excess of nutrients could of course make things interesting.

Good luck!

Planted tanks are all about shrimp.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I scooped up some sand from the yard, added water and shook it up really well. There was about 1 1/2" of sand in the jar. Now its settled out with mostly sand with 1/8" layer of something that's either organic matter or actual soil on top of the sand. There is a wee bit of floating organic matter too. The sand is very fine and a dark gray in color. Its fairly attractive actually.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
go for it.. sand is a bit of a pain in the aquarium though. Mulm sits on top of it unlike the other commercial substrates and plants can be easily dislodge out of sand. That's a good thing too. You can change your scape easily.

I used paver's sand and that looks pretty good to me because it has a lot of different size grains and pebbles like real river sand.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Needless to say, would love to see pics if and when you put it use!

Matt

My South

6g Eclipse
-CRS & RCS
Sunsun Pimp # 43

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"
-The Late, Great Colonel Sanders-
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I tested the water this morning that is with the sand. Ammonia is .5, pH 7.8, KH 180, GH 150. The grain is very fine and the sand is pretty heavy. I rinsed it well to get out all the extras and if I shake the jar up now, within 10 seconds 95% of the sand has settled and within 5 minutes the water is very clear. I think this would cause compaction issues wouldn't it? I did the vinegar test. Its purely silica based sand because it didn't fizz at all. That pretty much makes it a no-go right?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Not fizzing is a good thing. You DON'T want carbonate-based substrates in a FW aquarium since it will lead to fluctuating water parameters.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for that info lauraleellbp. I got that one backwards. I'm still quite concerned about compaction and anaerobic areas with it being such fine grained stuff. But here's a big question....would it be ok for Cories?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Just don't exceed 2-3" deep and also get some Malaysian Trumpet snails to burrow through it.

And yes it should be fine for Cories.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Plant roots will help make an aerobic condition too so no worries about anaerobic areas.
Cories, catfish, and loaches love sand. Let your plants have a good hold first before introducing bottom dwellers or you will see lots of floating plants.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You all have been a tremendous help and have given me the confidence to move forward with using the sand. I'm guessing I'll have to use some root tabs for fertilization.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode