Black spots on pool filter sand? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Black spots on pool filter sand?

My tank (29gal bow front) has been set up for a while. It's planted fairly heavily I believe, I recently got some seachem root tabs and some s.repens. it's been about 2 weeks and I am starting to see some black spots on the sand above the root tabs. I just need to know if I need to be concerned about this? I have 11 neon tetras, 5 cherry shrimp. I also dose Nilocg "Thrive" 2 pumps twice a week. And half a capfull of florish excel twice a week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180316_135107.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	840081  

Attached Images

Bust Out Another Thousand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also, just did a water change. Might be worth mentioning that it is also making the root ends of the s. repens rotten. Anyone got any ideas?

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 04:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Poop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 05:28 PM
Algae Grower

Hydrogen sulfide perhaps?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltoflorius View Post
Hydrogen sulfide perhaps?
I Don't Have Enough experience to know for sure. But with what I've read that usually comes with a smell, which I have absolutely no smell or ill effects so far. Just the black spots as of right now, I vac them and their gone for a few days. I do vacs and 30% water changes twice a week and all my parameters seem to be fine ( I use api master kit) but do not check for kh or gh so I'm not sure about that. But I am still REALLY green to all this.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks to me like your sand substrate is a fairly thin layer in most areas of the tank bottom, so even if you pressed some of your root tab ferts down to the bottom of the tank, they're still not very far down, and the root tabs while they disintegrate are leaching their dark color to the sand.
Nothing of a problem if that's the case (which I truly believe it is- cause it's happened to me - with my white PFS), so don't worry about it.
That doesn't explain the rotting plant root ends though - perhaps those plants are just not surviving very well for whatever reason.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Looks to me like your sand substrate is a fairly thin layer in most areas of the tank bottom, so even if you pressed some of your root tab ferts down to the bottom of the tank, they're still not very far down, and the root tabs while they disintegrate are leaching their dark color to the sand.
Nothing of a problem if that's the case (which I truly believe it is- cause it's happened to me - with my white PFS), so don't worry about it.
That doesn't explain the rotting plant root ends though - perhaps those plants are just not surviving very well for whatever reason.
My substrate is about 4" in the back and 2" in the front. AS to the plants rotting. It's only the plants that are closest/on top of the tabs. The tabs are all the way to the bottom, there is probably 2.5"-3" above the tab. I can believe their leeching their discoloration to the top. But I'm not getting the plant rotting tho unless it was just too much fert for them and the bottoms are rotting because of it. It's only happening to the plants that are within an inch of the tabs.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The soil might be too hot right next to the root tabs, usually they recommend putting them further from the plant.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadjon View Post
The soil might be too hot right next to the root tabs, usually they recommend putting them further from the plant.
Makes sense, once the tabs have started deteriorating am I able to move them without causing an issue with ammonia or nitrites?

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadjon View Post

Makes sense - that's what I think too.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys for your help. If it wasn't for the experience in this forum beginners like myself would be doomed

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox View Post
Makes sense, once the tabs have started deteriorating am I able to move them without causing an issue with ammonia or nitrites?
No, root tabs should not produce nor be the cause of ammonia or nitrites.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Most root tabs have ammonia in them, that's what feeds the plants. If they aren't deep enough it will leach them right into the water. This is especially true of diy osmacote tabs.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

While some root tabs may have some ammonia in them, it is not of sufficient quantity overall to produce any dangerous ammonia toxicity levels in most tanks, even if it were to leach right into the water. I've used 2 or 3 different types of root tabs over many years in my planted discus tanks (discus being very sensitive to any level of ammonia), and have never experienced any ammonia test reading from root tabs.
A tank's beneficial bacteria would deal with any such ammonia produced, just as it does with other sources of ammonia production within a tank.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok Good To Know Thank You All

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode