Buffer for low ph, what substrate ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Buffer for low ph, what substrate ?

I am planning a red crystal shrimp tank and would like to buffer the tank to a ph around 6.5. I read the shrimp prefers a little acidic water. The tank will have some driftwood and mosses, which does not care what substrate the tank has. I have RO water readily available for top off and water changes, with supplements to bring the water to desired kh/gh levels. I can also liquid dose a little but from past experience moss requires little to thrive. So the purpose of the substrate is to buffer the ph at the desired level. I see ADA Amazonia is widely recommended here for its buffer capabilities but what actually buffers the water? Do I still need this capability if I use RO water? I would much prefer the eco complete for itís ease of maintenance because itís inert.

40g Breeder. Catalina 3x39w T5HO. Running 2 now for 7 hours. Fisherbrand Single Stage Regulator. SMS-1200 Needle Valve. Clippard Mouse Solenoid. Atomic Diffuser. Eheim 2232. Koralia Nano Powerhead.
My Africans:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eco complete is fine for neos but I wouldn't use it with any caridina species. I'd get the Amazonia if I were trying to raise/breed crystals. KH and GH values should both be kept reasonably low. Eco complete offers nothing for this. R/O water should be used with any active substrate to preserve the buffering effect for as long as possible.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 01:24 AM
Banned

Are you injecting CO2 into your tank. If not Sea shells will provide all the buffering you need. IF the PH drops the shells (they are made of mostly calcium carbonate) start to dissolve and and neutralize the acid and push the PH up. In my tank I use this approach and PH stays between 6.5 and 7. You do not need to add anything to the water to raise KH using this method.

Unfortunately this method will not work in tanks with CO2 injection. CO2 will cause too much to dissolve and that will push your GH and KH UP excessively.

Quote:
I can also liquid dose a little but from past experience moss requires little to thrive.
If you are using Tap water that would be true if your tap is loaded with nutrients. RO however has no nutrients in it and in my experience moss will not do well unless the water is fertilized. At a minimum you heed a GH boster (preferably with sulfate ingredients). and a good all in one fertilizer such as Thrive.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newplant View Post
I am planning a red crystal shrimp tank and would like to buffer the tank to a ph around 6.5. I read the shrimp prefers a little acidic water. The tank will have some driftwood and mosses, which does not care what substrate the tank has. I have RO water readily available for top off and water changes, with supplements to bring the water to desired kh/gh levels. I can also liquid dose a little but from past experience moss requires little to thrive. So the purpose of the substrate is to buffer the ph at the desired level. I see ADA Amazonia is widely recommended here for its buffer capabilities but what actually buffers the water? Do I still need this capability if I use RO water? I would much prefer the eco complete for itís ease of maintenance because itís inert.
The point of a buffering substrate is to keep a low but stable pH which will make keeping caridinas much easier for you. It also helps that most breeders use similar soil, so when you get them, acclimation will be much easier. It is not absolutely required, but it is immensely helpful.

As to your questions, there are several shrimp specific soils, but ADA Amazonia can also be used. SL Aqua and Prodibio are two other popular soils choices that last a long time. Fluval's doesn't last as long which is the only downside to that one.

Yes, you still need buffering soil with RO as RO has 0 dKH meaning pH will fluctuate easily. The soil helps maintain this stability.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Thank you all very much for the explanation and suggestions. Looking forward to get this setup.

40g Breeder. Catalina 3x39w T5HO. Running 2 now for 7 hours. Fisherbrand Single Stage Regulator. SMS-1200 Needle Valve. Clippard Mouse Solenoid. Atomic Diffuser. Eheim 2232. Koralia Nano Powerhead.
My Africans:

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
You could always try fluval stratum its cheaper than ADA, but the quality isnt as good.

20L Blue Dream
Eheim 2213
Matheson 3510
Finnex Planted +
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 05:01 PM
Planted Member

I have had great results using Mr aqua plant soil .It still buffers to about 6.5 after almost 2 yrs

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode