dark grey substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
dark grey substrate?

I'm looking for a dark grey course sand for substrate in my planned 54 corner. But my google-fu is failing me. All I can find is the black substrate or sand: fluorite black, black diamond, tahitian moon.

There are grey substrates out there, but they seem to be chiclid substrates that buffer water and I don't want that as I remineralize to a specific kh and gh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 09:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would be interested in the same thing. Only options i have found would be:

Seachem Onxy sand/Seachem gray coast: I believe these are the same thing. Tom Barr does recommend these for his 'no co2' method. Maybe if used in conjunction with dirt it wouldn't buffer pH up too much.

Oil Dri/Safe T Sorb: pretty neutral on PH. But not as dark as i would like. Also pretty light weight so might cause some issues for planting.

I have wondered about using small granite chips (often sold as chicken grit or poultry grit at farm stores) but i don't know if it can affect pH and it can often be variable in color. I use in container plant substrates. Sometimes its a nice dark gray, sometimes light gray, sometimes reddish.

20g high and 10g planted low tech tanks.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 08:52 AM
Algae Grower

I mixed BDBS with play sand, maybe 70/30. It's not gray itself, but it gives the appearance of such. Looks a LOT more natural than straight black.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 04:10 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnugQuarium View Post
I mixed BDBS with play sand, maybe 70/30. It's not gray itself, but it gives the appearance of such. Looks a LOT more natural than straight black.
That sounds very interesting. Do you have any photos you could share?

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 05:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Play sand isn't really suitable for aquarium use, it would be better to use pool filter sand. Larger, more uniform grain size and it won't pack down tightly like play sand will. If you have fish that root, play sand can quickly become a nightmare as well due to smaller particulate staying in the water column and potentially entering your filter. Bad news if that happens!

@aubie98 Certain kitty litters are acceptable for substrate use as they are clay based. Many kitty litters have a gray color. Others who know of an acceptable brand for this can chime in.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
https://www.substratesource.com/prod...k-colored-sand

Looks more gray from afar. They also have lighter shades too.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:11 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
https://www.substratesource.com/prod...k-colored-sand

Looks more gray from afar. They also have lighter shades too.
Thanks for the suggestion. As much searching as I did I never found this site. I have ordered samples of the ash, light gray and black. Very interested to see how they look. I will take some photos comparing to eco-complete.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
The Mr Aqua substrate i have looks gray, black aura like, underwater for sure. Just another option to throw out there.

I'm not into the image, but into the hobby...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smishgibson View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. As much searching as I did I never found this site. I have ordered samples of the ash, light gray and black. Very interested to see how they look. I will take some photos comparing to eco-complete.
@smishgibson, did you ever receive those samples and if so, what are your impressons?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 06:11 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smishgibson View Post
I would be interested in the same thing. Only options i have found would be:

Seachem Onxy sand/Seachem gray coast: I believe these are the same thing. Tom Barr does recommend these for his 'no co2' method. Maybe if used in conjunction with dirt it wouldn't buffer pH up too much.

Oil Dri/Safe T Sorb: pretty neutral on PH. But not as dark as i would like. Also pretty light weight so might cause some issues for planting.

I have wondered about using small granite chips (often sold as chicken grit or poultry grit at farm stores) but i don't know if it can affect pH and it can often be variable in color. I use in container plant substrates. Sometimes its a nice dark gray, sometimes light gray, sometimes reddish.

Late to the party, but WOW, THANK YOU! I've been looking for this stuff for years. Back maybe ten years ago it went by the name "Anthracite" and was one of my favorite substrates, and then they stopped selling it, and I never found a similar enough analog to it until now.

http://a.co/7E0lzsD

It's even on Amazon too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 08:37 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie98 View Post
@smishgibson, did you ever receive those samples and if so, what are your impressons?
Literally the most delayed reply ever. Sorry it took me so long.

I did get the substrate samples. Here are my thoughts

Good colors, size and texture. Felt heavy enough for plants to stay down nicely. A number of the pieces did float though which I thought was odd. I would suggest if you try this substrate to rinse and skim off any floaters.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kxMk4fjKf6U6WRH7A

PS: after posting this, I see it's rather moot. The website it down and the substrate is out of stock on amazon.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode