CO2 Injection with buffered substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question CO2 Injection with buffered substrate?

Hi all,

May seem like a silly question, but I have wondered if you can run CO2 injection with a buffered substrate when the PH is already at 6-6.5?

My current 25lt tank did have a small CO2 setup, but the PH dropped to around 5.5 and I then couldnít use the DC or chart correctly.. or so I believe...

I currently have some Crystal Red Shrimp with Chilli Rasbora that seems to be doing fine, but am unsure if the injection messed up the balance early on? Of the videos Iíve seen, everyone seems to be using tap water and not remineralisation of RO...

Thoughts..?

Thanks.
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 01:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I run CO2 with a buffering substrate (Aquasolum) and just don't worry too much about the pH. Mine is so low that I can't read it on the API normal pH chart, but my fish are doing fine. I think most people will agree that as long as your fish and shrimp seem to be tolerating it well that you shouldn't fret over it, but I'd like to see if anyone has a different opinion.

My algae is the only plant that pearls.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If it's Carbonate buffering co2 will accelerate the degradation of the product and increase KH more rapidly

Whether that matters or not is another question, probably not unless your tap already has too much KH, but then why would you be using a buffering substrate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode