soil i found at a closing petsmart - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
soil i found at a closing petsmart

is it good stuff or is it garbage? i got 6 of them originally $16 each but i got them for 50% off, im pretty excited
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110105_191920.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	26307  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:19 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I use the redish colored one mixed with natural gravel and love it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Planted Member

if you want is its not a waste

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

it works just as well as any other commercially available substrate (except Aquasoil apparently)

youll be fine

it is IMPOSSIBLE to find 1 person who regrets going pressurized

if you do it right, you can spend a lot of money in this hobby...of course, if you do it wrong - you'll spend A LOT more
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It's made by CaribSea. Could be the predecessor to Eco-Complete?

Tony

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and my

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 02:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I used that in my last 55g. Its just as good as anything else I've used. I mixed it with natural river mud/sand...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

do you think i should mix it or can i use it alone?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I don't think it needs to be mixed. I just happened to have 20 lbs of river sand I wanted to use and was trying to make the substrate in that tank look very natural while being as nutrient rich as I could get it. Here's a pic of that tank at its prime right before I tore it down....

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
a Petsmart that closed down? Best news I read today!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 12:27 AM
Algae Grower

why is that good news?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 02:38 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelilaa View Post
why is that good news?
where should I start? They are for one a monoply and putting more and more mom and pop/family owned businesses out of business every day.Which means less exotic fish and more inbred/overbred and imported Asian farm bred fish.Which means the fish continually lose their true colors and traits from the wild.Which leads to more fish that are prone to disease etc since they are now weaker and will live for less time from being inbred over and over again.It means the rich get richer and the small LFS lose business and eventually close their doors,then Mom and Pop get evicted from their house and live on the street in their ripe old age instead of letting the younger family members run the store while they retire or being able to sell that "once profitable business" etc etc etc
Same reason I would rather go spend my money on dinner at Mom's resteraunt,Mom's burgers-whatever-small family owned businesses rather than TGIF or CHILI's or Olive Garden etc. Forget Red Lobster-send me to Pop's fish place etc.
That's my 2 cents anyway.I hate Petsmart and Petco etc for these reasons.Some rich bastard who has a bankroll the size of Africa and just keeps getting richer as other families lose business,the house etc.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Algae Grower

Not really a monopoly, but yeah, what he said. I, however, am in favor of more "farm" raised fish and less wild caught. Really don't think the death of the LFS has any impact on that though. It's not like any LFS is importing anything.

If you care about the community you live in, spend your money at businesses owned by people that live in that community. They will, in turn, do the same. If you don't give a flying-F, then Wal-Mart it all the way.

All that said, there were a pile of shady and stupid LFS's that got run out of business by PetSmart/Co. It's a shame that the ones that contine to survive are the ones that are good at math/advertising/and running a business...rather than the ones that were knowing a thing about the stuff they sold.

Anyway

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode