Gravel over or under Substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Gravel over or under Substrate?

I have a 20 Gal with Tetras doing really well for 4 months, with both an under gravel and a 150 GPH external canister filter.. want to start planted tank tho, and the drift wood, Echo Complete and Fluval Plant and Shrimp Stratum arrive today.

I like to know

1.) if I should disrupt the tank a lot by removing the under gravel filter,
or
2.) can I leave the under-gravel filter as-is and just pour the substrate in OVER the gravel and around the drift wood?
or
3. If I should remove or push the gravel aside, and put the substrate in UNDER the pea sized ( fairly large) gravel you see in this photo?

Which Please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gravel.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	835977  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 07:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
If you mix the stratum and eco with your existing gravel, it will settle to the bottom since it is smaller grains. I would remove the UGF and the current gravel, then monitor water parameters for a week or so, checking ammonia and nitrites, just to make sure you didn't cause a mini cycle. More water changes might be needed after pulling the current substrate. Also, vacuum it very well before disturbing it, that way you're minimizing the detritus being stirred into the water column.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks very much for the quick reply .. may I ask two questions: 1.) why you would remove the UGF?
I have some concern about it snagging the root structure should I need to move any plants around much later once they fill in in a few weeks..

But why would you remove the gravel? I'd prefer to keep it, even tho it's probably not a great substrate for root feeding plants compared to the others .. but is there some other good reason to remove it, rather than simply pouring the Eco and Fluval over it and allow the three types to mix?

Just curious, and again thanks for your recommendation.. this is my 1st planted tank, so I have no clue..
Regards. JimS

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Mgeorges didn't reply ( above), but that's Ok.. I do appreciate his help and any one else's here if you would like to share some tips..

I just wanted to update anyone interested with what I wound up doing with my new tank.

I decided to remove the under gravel filter because I wanted a bit more room in the tank and didn't want the roots to clog in its grate later. I did use the two new substrates (EcoComplete over Fluval Stratum) and did place the original gravel and new driftwood over them. The water got really cloudy in the process of scooping out all the old gravel into a bucket.. My 18 fish went nuts... but they all survived the ordeal.. and are doing just fine now.

The plants seem very happy for now (to me) and I do expect to prune and move a few around since a couple aren't getting the best light. Please leave any comments if you care to.. I worry that I may have too much water flow thru my canister filter .. is that possible?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	planted tank.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	837065  

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 10:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Looks good.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 02:28 AM
Algae Grower

Your tank looks real good. As mentioned above, your substrate will stratify do the finest particles of eco complete will end up at bottom, then middle sized and then your stratum or gravel on top.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode