Eco-complete question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eco-complete question

Hi, I've decided to try a planted aquarium for the first time and have been lurking around here for the past month or so gathering information. I have a 50 breeder that I want to turn into a high light, pressurized CO2, planted tank and I was originally planning on using Eco-complete (or similar) for the substrate.

What I wanted to ask was: if I'm dosing daily with dry ferts anyway, is there really any point in using a substrate with nutrients already in it? Would I be better off to just use sand or gravel for the sake of saving a few bucks (this project is getting expensive) and try to provide the plants with all necessary nutrients by means of ferts (which I will need either way)? Or another way to put it: what effect (if any) does using EC (or similarly enriched substrate) have on one's fert regimen?

Thanks,
-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Hi,

I use Eco in all my tanks b/c it looks good, doesn't mess up my water and keeps/holds my plants real good. Also easy to plant. I read that despite the claims Eco is inert hard sediment and you need to dose the water column and use root tabs if you like.

"Ich Hatte Einen Kameraden"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Same with Flourite.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Eco and fluorite don't contain nutrients like AS and clones do. They are better at absorbing nutrients than a simple sand or decorative gravel. So they are "better" than that stuff, not nutrient rich, or able to soften water and lower ph as AS can.

They are easier to work with than AS, so if you are a fiddler, or beginner they may be better choices. I have all 3 and Eco is my favorite due to ease. YMMV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 09:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJAquaBarren View Post
Eco and fluorite don't contain nutrients like AS and clones do. They are better at absorbing nutrients than a simple sand or decorative gravel. So they are "better" than that stuff, not nutrient rich, or able to soften water and lower ph as AS can.

They are easier to work with than AS, so if you are a fiddler, or beginner they may be better choices. I have all 3 and Eco is my favorite due to ease. YMMV.
+1 Yep.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rasputin View Post
Hi, I've decided to try a planted aquarium for the first time and have been lurking around here for the past month or so gathering information. I have a 50 breeder that I want to turn into a high light, pressurized CO2, planted tank and I was originally planning on using Eco-complete (or similar) for the substrate.

What I wanted to ask was: if I'm dosing daily with dry ferts anyway, is there really any point in using a substrate with nutrients already in it? Would I be better off to just use sand or gravel for the sake of saving a few bucks (this project is getting expensive) and try to provide the plants with all necessary nutrients by means of ferts (which I will need either way)? Or another way to put it: what effect (if any) does using EC (or similarly enriched substrate) have on one's fert regimen?

Thanks,
-Mike
EC isn't enriched, its volcanic rock and the ferts are naturally inside it, but many people claim the roots cannot extract the ferts. I think the company claims the acids that roots normally secrete break down the EC and release the ferts from the rock.

Some people claim the way sand compacts makes it hard for roots to grow. Supposedly the mix of large and small pieces in EC gives roots both space to grow and surface area.

My own gravel and rock substrate was struggling until I added root tabs, now the tank is slowly turning into a jungle. But the main reason gravel and sand aren't supposed to be good choices is CEC(cation exchange capacity), not lack of ferts because that can be remedied externally. High CEC means the substrate is negatively charged and has a high surface area so many positively charged(cations) molecules of nutrient stick to it and later become absorbed by the roots.

Sand and the quartz gravel have almost zero CEC. Peat has the highest measured CEC, its so high I'm suspicious of the figure. Clay is the second highest which is why good topsoil always has to have some clay in it. EC has a good CEC but not as good as clay.

So in theory if you get a substrate with high CEC all the nutes in fish waste and added ferts will stick to it due to electrical charge and then the plants will take it off the surface of the material as they do in nature.

I think this covers the whole thing, please mock me if I am wrong.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode