Solenoid for DIY CO2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Solenoid for DIY CO2?

Is it feasible or practical to run a solenoid on a DIY system for CO2? I want to make sure I donít forget to shut off my DIY system and gas out the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 03:18 AM
Algae Grower

no.... if you are talking about a bottle reactor that absolutely not... unless you find a switch that could just vent it out into the atmosphere when not venting into the tank... otherwise it will go boom
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKultra View Post
no.... if you are talking about a bottle reactor that absolutely not... unless you find a switch that could just vent it out into the atmosphere when not venting into the tank... otherwise it will go boom

Ok... I know people using diy with 2 bottle system close needle valve manually at night and open in the morning with no pressure issues. Is this different?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 04:08 AM
Algae Grower

If you're using a mixture for very fast CO2 production and fittings/splitters that simply pop on, then yes there is a high chance of the tubes popping off and spewing sticky yeast sugar water everywhere if you forget to reopen it in the morning. The bottle itself will be fine. I've experienced this a few times.

I think it's possible to run a 2-port solenoid as long as you don't allow it to reach that critical pressure. A normally closed 3-port solenoid will vent the gas outside when you're not running it but you'll need to wait for the bottle to build up enough pressure again to function.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 06:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
If using the citric acid method, yes you can. They have DC ones that have CO2 tubing compression fittings on inlet and outlet. No experience with which ones get hot though.

If using yeast, you will want a pressure release valve just in case. I don't think it would build enough pressure in the 16 hours or whatever of building up though.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
If using the citric acid method, yes you can. They have DC ones that have CO2 tubing compression fittings on inlet and outlet. No experience with which ones get hot though.

If using yeast, you will want a pressure release valve just in case. I don't think it would build enough pressure in the 16 hours or whatever of building up though.

Ok nice. Yeah this would be Citrix acid and baking soda. Any idea where I could find these?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have not done the DIY CO2 thing so be aware of that? But I would feel that there is a basic reason we don't see the combo of DIY and solenoid too much. DIY is almost automatically cheaper while a good solenoid is definitely NOT cheap, so less often combined. But not a reason for not doing it if it appeals to you.
One thing I would recommend is getting something that can be reused/ repurposed if you should decide cO2 is worth going to pressure.
So the main question is getting a solenoid that is good and will last and also can be done with compression fittings to get better grip on the tubing. My choice for this would be to shop E-bay for a Clippard Mouse series solenoid and then combine it with a Clippard manifold to let you use hard plumbing which gets you into the far more common 1/8 inch fittings.
The solenoid is pretty common on the site but I never see the manifold which leaves that part more difficult to acquire, maybe even going to a distributer.
Shop carefully for the correct solenoid as there are many which DO NOT do work for our use.
Models?
ET -2M-12 is my favorite , ET gives terminals for the wires, 2M is 2 ports (in/out) and mounted on a manifold. 12 is 12VDC
EV- wires but thin ones?
-24 at the end needs 24VDC supply

Again , please shop carefully as it can be a minefield if you are not careful and correct!!!
The manifold is 15490-5----
shown here but hard to get:
http://www.clippard.com/downloads/PD...Page%20191.pdf
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I have not done the DIY CO2 thing so be aware of that? But I would feel that there is a basic reason we don't see the combo of DIY and solenoid too much. DIY is almost automatically cheaper while a good solenoid is definitely NOT cheap, so less often combined. But not a reason for not doing it if it appeals to you.

One thing I would recommend is getting something that can be reused/ repurposed if you should decide cO2 is worth going to pressure.

So the main question is getting a solenoid that is good and will last and also can be done with compression fittings to get better grip on the tubing. My choice for this would be to shop E-bay for a Clippard Mouse series solenoid and then combine it with a Clippard manifold to let you use hard plumbing which gets you into the far more common 1/8 inch fittings.

The solenoid is pretty common on the site but I never see the manifold which leaves that part more difficult to acquire, maybe even going to a distributer.

Shop carefully for the correct solenoid as there are many which DO NOT do work for our use.

Models?

ET -2M-12 is my favorite , ET gives terminals for the wires, 2M is 2 ports (in/out) and mounted on a manifold. 12 is 12VDC

EV- wires but thin ones?

-24 at the end needs 24VDC supply

Again , please shop carefully as it can be a minefield if you are not careful and correct!!!

The manifold is 15490-5----

shown here but hard to get:

http://www.clippard.com/downloads/PD...Page%20191.pdf

Thank you. Not sure if I want to invest the money for a solenoid for DIY but wanted to research

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode