Oil Dri needs a cap? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/96%)
Oil Dri needs a cap?

First, sorry to start a new thread about Oil Dri, since most of the searches I did was of thread that are really old. So here goes. I am going to set up a new 50 gallon tank soon, and was thinking of using Oil Dri as a bottom layer and cap it with either some small gravel, or something like PFS. Many threads that I read through, mentioned that stuff like kitty litter can compact over time. Is this true of Oil Dri (which is basically the same stuff) Another thing is that if I cap with PFS, will the PFS settle below the Oil dri? Should i be better off capping with a larger particle stubstrate like river rocks or other small gravel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I had horrible luck with oildri. It never rinsed clean, was always cloudy, and breaks down over time.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ohh man.. I had a 40lb bag that I didn't use because I was going to change the substrate in my existing 75 gallon, but I got lazy and didn't have any space to move the fish and plants, but now that I have a 50 gallon that I wanted to set up. Since I only have a 40 pound bag, the oil dri wasn't going to be my main substrate, more of the bottom layer with something capped on the top. How did you have it? Did you cap it?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I did both. Considering it cost you about 5 bucks... I'd let it go. I think you will have better luck with just PFS and root tabs. With oil dri, you'd need a nutrient of some sort, anyways.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah it was cheap, funny thing was I put it in a large garbage bin, and forgot about it. My dad was the one who reminded me that I had a garbage can full of fish tank junk in the basement. Now back to the drawing board.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Would say the MTS route, but doubt you have much non-contaminated dirt in Brooklyn...hehe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have used Soil Master Select and Turface which are basically over baked Oil Dri. They are so light that anything used as a cap sinks down through it. The 'cap' effect is lost.
They are good substrates, but don't try mixing them with anything.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode