Using top soil under flourite - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using top soil under flourite

I bought a bag of scotts top soil. I want to use it under Flourite. I read a post by tom barr suggesting all I need to do is soak it for 3 weeks. I read some people use the soak dry method. I'm confused about what to do.

It's winter were I am and I don't have any way to dry the soil. Has anyone else just soaked the top soil for 2 or 3 weeks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 03:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
The presoaking/mineralization process does a jump-start on breaking down the organics in the soil. You don't really need to do any of that prep work as long as you are ok with doing extra water changes over the first few weeks and hold off on fish until the soil stops releasing ammonia.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 04:07 PM
Algae Grower

In my tank I literally opened the bag of soil, added 1.5" to the tank base, and added another 1.5" of flourite substate. It was the flourite I actually pre-rinsed a little to get the dust off. Didn't touch the soil before putting it in the tank. No discoloration from the soil.

I should mention 2 things:
1) I've read only the organic top soil should be used for tanks.
2) I actually used Earthworm casting soil on the recommendation of a successful planted tank owner.
https://i.imgur.com/NVdN0Qph.jpg

Good luck! I'm all about a soil base layer now.

My Fluval Spec 5 Journal

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 04:33 PM
Algae Grower

I put soil in my 10 gallon tank, I had colour leaching but with water changes every 2 days, the fish stayed healthy and I'd say so far so good. One month in.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantsome99 View Post
I bought a bag of scotts top soil. I want to use it under Flourite. I read a post by tom barr suggesting all I need to do is soak it for 3 weeks. I read some people use the soak dry method. I'm confused about what to do.

It's winter were I am and I don't have any way to dry the soil. Has anyone else just soaked the top soil for 2 or 3 weeks?

this post Preparation and Maintenance of a Planted Aquarium discusses soil substrates. btw, i would suggest soaking for 2 months, lower temps slow the mineralization process.

Last edited by milesm; 03-01-2018 at 07:24 PM. Reason: took out you tube video. just wanted to post link, not the actual vid.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode