Soil for aquarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Soil for aquarium?

Hi, can i use this soil in my aquarium, Miracle gro organic choice all purpose plant food.

and will it start to go all mouldy after a couple of months or nasty in some way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
...Miracle gro organic choice all purpose plant food...
Omit the words "Plant Food" and that SOIL is OK.

Do not use plant food designed for above ground plants in an aquarium without further checking. Some slow release products are OK, such as certain Osmocote products.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I just bought a 10g at the Petco sale yesterday and am thinking of substrates. I actually have some of this miracle grow. What needs to be done to it to use? Any additions? I'd think it would funk up the water badly.

"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If it is the Organic Choice Potting Mix, you can just dump it in the tank and cap it with 1 inch of gravel or you can mineralize it first. You don't want the regular Miracle Gro potting mix or any of the others because they are just perlite, vermiculite, peat, and bark + fertilizers. Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix is well composted and doesn't have inorganic fertilizers added.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco View Post
If it is the Organic Choice Potting Mix, you can just dump it in the tank and cap it with 1 inch of gravel or you can mineralize it first. You don't want the regular Miracle Gro potting mix or any of the others because they are just perlite, vermiculite, peat, and bark + fertilizers. Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix is well composted and doesn't have inorganic fertilizers added.

Really? I actually do have the organic potting mix on hand. How deep should the potting mix be? Then an inch of gravel on top? I even have gravel. Is there an issue with cloudiness doing it like this? How long does it last before nutrients are depleted? Would it need to be sifted first? If this would work, the only thing I need to get my 10g going is a heater and plants!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 05:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
That probably depends on your plant selection. I use that same soil in a couple of my tanks at a depth between 1 and 2 inches, depending on how deeply rooted the plants will be (i.e. a foreground plant like M. hirsuta won't root as deep as a larger plant like C. thalictroides). I have one tank I topped with about 3/4 inch of sand and discovered that was too much... I have since "shaved" off the sand to a depth of about 1/4-1/3 inch. I picked out only the largest pieces of wood, and have had no issues with cloudiness nor any sort of "funk".

As the soil decomposition accelerates in its submerged state you will likely notice some moderate gas bubbling over the first month or so (from reading other posts this appears to be a consistent experience) but that should subside as the tank stabilizes and your plants begin to root more deeply.

My tank has not been established long enough to speak to nutrient depletion, so I'll defer to anyone more experienced there.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottagewitch View Post
Really? I actually do have the organic potting mix on hand. How deep should the potting mix be? Then an inch of gravel on top? I even have gravel. Is there an issue with cloudiness doing it like this? How long does it last before nutrients are depleted? Would it need to be sifted first? If this would work, the only thing I need to get my 10g going is a heater and plants!
WOW! Hold on to your behind if you don't do more research than this before loading your tank!
1st, The gravel needs to be finer than river 'pea' gravel. Something like Flourite works very well. Otherwise the soil will work it's way out of the bottom making a mess.

I'm no guru by any means but recorded and posted water parameters, issues and events. I feel like I did a good job of including all the details. It's been set up for over a year and I'm very happy with the tank.

here's my dirt tank thread
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...-soil-sub.html

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wkndracer, thanks for sharing the link to your thread. I'm looking forward to reading it and learning from your experiences!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode