Safety Absorb substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Safety Absorb substrate

I have questions regarding using SafeT Absorb (#7941 from TSC). I read some where that it's advantages for plants is being clay and will absorb dosing fertiliser. On the package it says it adds traction. I am interested in burrowing Kuhli Loaches and have a snail that is supposed to burrow (I read loaches eat snails so I won't mix them). Would anyone happen to know if the SafeT Absorb would harm any burrowing or bottom dwellers? The other option I am looking at is aquarium sand from my pet store.

Starting a low tech tank.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 04:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Technically pretty much all good substrates are clay. Just about any of the "absorbent" products like Oil-Dry will work fine. I've used Turface Game Saver or whatever there calling it now for years in low light tanks and love it. Just keep in mind all of that is fire kilned clay and will do crazy things to your water paramaters when you first fill the tank so give it a good long cycle before putting fish in it.

Kitty Litter will even work OK.

I'd stay away from the colored "aquarium sand" at pet stores it's not clay and doesn't work very well with plants. If your looking for the very cheap stuff I'd go with #20 pool filter sand at about $9 for a 50lb bag just about anywhere (all big box stores and pool stores). It's not very pretty being off white but it does it's job well.

Proud member of the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply.

I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest substrate. I'm looking for something that is good and if I can avoid speciality product prices I'm very happy. Not trying to win awards. Just a nice tank at a nice price and low hassle.

I have been using black sand and root tabs all from a lfs. No problems my inexperienced eyes have noticed. But recently read about sand settling causing problems for roots growing and allowing a gas to build up that can wipe out an aquarium. My primary reason for choosing sand when I started was I heard shrimp like it. Then heard that food didn't get trapped and put of reach of inhabinets. Sometimes knowing less makes things easier.

Today I went out to get an oil dry clay. The one I originally wanted was not available. The oil dry I got should be the same clay stuff. Something that caught My attention was the health warnings; don't touch with bare hands, don't breath dust, causes cancer,... Is there anything I should be watching out for? How long would you recommend letting a tank cycle with the clay?

Thank you

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisticuffs View Post

Today I went out to get an oil dry clay. The one I originally wanted was not available. The oil dry I got should be the same clay stuff. Something that caught My attention was the health warnings; don't touch with bare hands, don't breath dust, causes cancer,... Is there anything I should be watching out for? How long would you recommend letting a tank cycle with the clay?

Thank you
That doesn't sound right....but guess it is..
silica content.. Just avoid dust..
https://s3.amazonaws.com/tai-epminer...pdf?1486578626
https://epminerals.com/products/safe...nd-safe-t-sorb

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 07:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisticuffs View Post
Thank you for the reply.

I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest substrate. I'm looking for something that is good and if I can avoid speciality product prices I'm very happy. Not trying to win awards. Just a nice tank at a nice price and low hassle.

I have been using black sand and root tabs all from a lfs. No problems my inexperienced eyes have noticed. But recently read about sand settling causing problems for roots growing and allowing a gas to build up that can wipe out an aquarium. My primary reason for choosing sand when I started was I heard shrimp like it. Then heard that food didn't get trapped and put of reach of inhabinets. Sometimes knowing less makes things easier.

Thank you
That warning is the "stupid people" warning the government makes them put on it. Some Darwin Awardee ate some Oil-Dry once and died ... kind of like McD's hot coffee warning.

I would go the full 6 weeks at least with fired clay before putting critters in it you can start planting pretty much as soon as the water column clears up.
You want to get at least half of the cycle done - NH3 to 0ppm and NO2 to 0ppm. Getting NO3 to 0ppm is also the long term goal as it turns into N which the plants use as fert but not as important.

Proud member of the
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode