Sand Substrate for 75 gallon? Need Advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sand Substrate for 75 gallon? Need Advice

Hi all,
I found some pretty cheap decorative sand in Home Depot here in Canada, and I was wondering if it would be ok to use as a substrate for a relatively low tech 75 gallon amazon themed tank. I was really hoping to get eco complete, but it's insanely expensive here and sold out at Petco. I was also wondering if it was possible to use a thin bottom layer of eco complete or other similair nutrient based substrate underneath the sand. Would this be possible? Any ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
How fine are the gains? Super small compacts super easy. Mixed sizes is even worse. I know this is of little help in Canada in late December, but pool supply stores have great sand for cheap.

Sent from my DINC
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The sand is called Stone Mason decorative sand. "Premium, pure quartz sand of uniform colour. Sharp angular surface makes it ideal for sand blasting and filling joints in interlock paving." For any Canadian hobbyists out there, can you recommend anything from Lowes or Rona?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, unfortunately most pool supply stores here in Toronto are either closed for the winter, or have the nepheline syenite, which I'm not sure is entirely suitable for an amazon type setup.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)
Home depots here carry pool filter sand so might want to check back. I found it in the outside garden area. Brand is Pavestone and a 50lb bag was less then $10 and didn't take much rinsing at all.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Like Overstocked mentioned, pool filter sand.I use one called Granusil, bought 50lb. bag for about 11 bucks. Never bought any sands from Rona, or HD so sorry no help there. Theres got to be some pool stores open in the GTA during the winter. Nepheline syenite can be slightly alkaline, and not something you want to be fighting with when keeping discus as you mentioned. I'll be goin uptown, downtown, and all around town today, so if I see something usable at one of the big box stores I'll let you know
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2drtahoe4x4 View Post
Home depots here carry pool filter sand so might want to check back. I found it in the outside garden area. Brand is Pavestone and a 50lb bag was less then $10 and didn't take much rinsing at all.

He's located in Canada, however. +1 on home depot pool filter sand if you can find it though. It's relatively cheap and comes in 50lb bags.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
I just tried the "play sand" from home depot. It was so ridiculously fine that it was pretty much clay. I could've rinsed it for years and it would still run brown. I removed the sand from my spare 20g tank and my pipes are probably half-clogged with sand. Oh well...tried it out and didn't like it. Next up, pool filter sand.

65g planted tank - 200W heat - PC 192W/6700K - Eheim 2217 - Pressurized CO2 - EI Dosing
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I settled for a 50/50 mix of eco-complete and black gravel. I looked around for the pool filter sand, but none of the pool supply stores here had the stuff you guys have in the states. Not to mention that when I asked for it in Lowes, Rona and HD they had no idea what to look for
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 03:47 PM

guys just a quick question i have already set up tank with 2 inch of sand planted and everything with very happy cardinals and plants are doing well to.
but i was wondering would it be a pain to get eco complete into the tank now could i just pour in onto the sand or should i remove the sand first which means i will have to uproot my plants etc
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
You want them to mix? If you just dump eco complete in they'll just mix...sand would have to go onto the bottom because it would eventually just settle down..and compact.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetraboy View Post
guys just a quick question i have already set up tank with 2 inch of sand planted and everything with very happy cardinals and plants are doing well to.
but i was wondering would it be a pain to get eco complete into the tank now could i just pour in onto the sand or should i remove the sand first which means i will have to uproot my plants etc
Yea, the eco granuals are much larger then the sand. Eventually the sand would settle THROUGH the eco and you'd have a mixture.

I have "High Desert Play Sand" in my 75g right now, that I bought at HD. Its been OK, but I dont have the tank planted nearly as much as I would like. So, I just picked up a few bags of PFS and made up a batch of MTS. I plan on using the MTS as a bottom layer and capping it with the PFS. That seems to be the way most people go cause the sand will stay ontop of the MTS. The lower level of MTS will provide nutrients to the plant roots but there will also be the look that I want with the PFS.
With just straight sand, I would suggest getting some fert-sticks.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 05:58 AM

thanks guys. so you think i should keep the sand the way it is and just add fert sticks into the sand? i alos dose easycarbo daily and profito liquid fert weekly.
would i still need the sticks if iam dosing these?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'm no expert, by any means, but I think that it has to do with the type of plants you decide to use. Some get most of their nutrients from the water column and some get them through their roots. Honestly, I dont think it would HURT to add fert stick, no matter what plants you are using.
Maby someone with more experience then me can answer your question better.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode