Hydrogen Sulfide in Deep Sand Bed - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By OVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hydrogen Sulfide in Deep Sand Bed

Hello! I have very fine sand in my freshwater aquarium - about 2-3 inches deep and I have a large fish that frequently burrows in the sand and disturbs it regularly. I had someone in another forum state that at some point hydrogen sulfide built up in the sand will kill my fish (guy was jerk but brought up a potentially serious issue). I can’t seem to find information on a how to prevent this from being an issue and it seems most people aren’t even sure this is a thing. Is this something I should worry about or be addressing in my tank? The most common solution is to not disturb the substrate - but what if I have a fish that digs deep all the time? Thank you for your help!

Everglade Lagoon: 60gal, heavily planted with CO2 system, EI dosing, and a variety of freshwater fish.
Congo Cove: 40gal, medium planted, low tech, one Congo Puffer (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
The Puddle: 5gal nano, heavily planted, low tech, one male betta
Baby Tank: 10gal, lightly planted, low tech, three snails, Amano and Cherry shrimp, and a ton of Molly fish fry

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 07:14 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I would not worry about it as your fish will prevent hydrogenfrom building up.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

H2S (bad thing) may build up where O2 is depleted.. but so will N2(good thing, removes Nitrates).

fish disturbing it will release any/all gasses relatively slowly (good thing)
sand is more permeable than say real "dirt" so gas exchange is better.
Plant roots add it as well (o2)

Seems you could add Malaysian Trumpet snails (borrowers) if you are really worried..

Good little discussion on it:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8-...substrate.html

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 04:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
@jeffkrol beat me to it. I just got a few Malaysian Trumpet Snails(MTS) for my sand substrate 10 gallon. They'll keep the substrate stirred up, but if you overfeed the tank, they'll reproduce pretty quick.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 04:15 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
@jeffkrol beat me to it. I just got a few Malaysian Trumpet Snails(MTS) for my sand substrate 10 gallon. They'll keep the substrate stirred up, but if you overfeed the tank, they'll reproduce pretty quick.
Which is a good thing too. This way you have a visible proof you're overfeeding and you can just feed less. MTS are great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all for the quick responses!! I didn’t think it would be an issue but I kept getting conflicting answers! I’d love to toss in some MTS (I have them in all the other tanks) but derpy fish in this one would eat them and break his teeth. So I’ll just keep an eye on it - thank you again!!!

Also my derpy fish does a great job of keeping the sand agitated and he has 11 plants (two of them so large and wild I’ve had to cut them back considerably) to keep the sand healthy! It seemed like the HS was a possible issue but in rare occasions. The stories I came across seemed to be “a friend of a friend” had this happen or “my roomate’s sister’s cousin” had it happen etc. While I let my little piggy puffer rule the tank, I make sure he has plenty of sand and plants and a highly rated canister filter to keep up with his bioload. While it’s a “fish-centered” tank, he lives in a mini jungle

Everglade Lagoon: 60gal, heavily planted with CO2 system, EI dosing, and a variety of freshwater fish.
Congo Cove: 40gal, medium planted, low tech, one Congo Puffer (
)
The Puddle: 5gal nano, heavily planted, low tech, one male betta
Baby Tank: 10gal, lightly planted, low tech, three snails, Amano and Cherry shrimp, and a ton of Molly fish fry

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-10-2018 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 03:47 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you have plants rooted in the substrate there's nothing to worry for sure! They're aerating the substrate too.

- 120x48x60 cm

- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode