White Substrate Out There? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Powerclown

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
White Substrate Out There?

Greetings All. I am new here and have been researching substrate for my future planted aquarium. It is a 125g and will be filled with tropical fish such as cardinals, rams, platy's etc.

I would really like a white sand substrate but the Planted substrate I have found so far (Eco complete, Fluorite Black) are in black and not in white.

Would it be possible to cap either of those substrates with white sand or will it eventually just mix in find it's way to the bottom?

I was also just going to use the plant substrate in the places where I have planned out in the tank for the plants. Is this advisable?

Thanks for your Time.

PS; could I get away with just the white sand as a substrate for my plants? I'm planning on the basic swords and things like that. Nothing too crazy or fancy here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 05:33 AM
Algae Grower

You should be able to cap either of those with sand, though if you do I would suggest keeping the black substrate away from the edges of the tank to avoid visible layers once the tank is finished. One thing to keep in mind though is that if you later want to move any plants around it will be almost impossible to keep the dark substrate from dirtying the top layer. But that's only if you might move things. You can use just sand, but for root feeders like swords you would need to add root tabs as fertilizer. Finer sand will also compact and make it more difficult for your plants to put out roots, so a coarser sand would work better.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Ok good to know that the white sand won't eventually sift through the substrate and end at the bottom. Is there a certain kind of white sand I should get over the others?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 09:08 PM
Algae Grower

Some kinds of sand will raise pH, so make sure to read the packaging before buying. Aragonite and calcium sand will raise your pH over time, as will one or two others. Any sand designed for aquariums should say if it will affect pH. Quite a few people use pool filter sand as well, but I've never used it so I don't know any details about it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

All what you need is Poolfiter sand and seachem root tabs,works like a charme 😉

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerclown View Post
All what you need is Poolfiter sand and seachem root tabs,works like a charme 😉
I noticed in your tank that you have white (sand?) capped on another black substrate. What are those 2? I like your setup.

Bump:
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 03:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It is poolfiltersand with root tabs only,nothing capped. The pic is not the best and it looks like two different substrates,but it is a shadow from the light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerclown View Post
It is poolfiltersand with root tabs only,nothing capped. The pic is not the best and it looks like two different substrates,but it is a shadow from the light.
Your tank is almost exactly what I had in mind for my tank. Good to see my logic in my own head works lol.

Do you use anything else? Co2, Flourish Excel, etc?

Should I aim for 2 inch sand base?

Also, what sand is that, I'm having a hard time finding actual white PFS.

Thanks!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

View this link to see Fairmount Aqua Quartz pool filter sand - great sand @ #20 grade density that is truly white (may look a little beige but that's the color of the plastic packaging).

https://www.amazon.com/Pool-Filter-S.../dp/B00JJ5GXSK

Tags
eco complete, sand, substrate, white

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode