Use of mychorrizae in the substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Use of mychorrizae in the substrate

I recently purchased a packet of fungi spores that are catered to hydroponic uses from fungi.com. Does anyone else do this? Will this help my plants out when they are submersed? Of course the internet has a ton of copy/pasted information so whoever writes the most on the topic usually winds up becoming the scripted first 200 results in a google search so I'd love to hear any input from the sciency people who might be able to speak specifically on this topic. I've seen so many of Paul Stamets presentations on mycology in general and I'd probably eat clay in the shape of a mushroom if he said it would give me magical powers. So I'm going to assume my input is... a bit... jaded? I gleamed the following info from a quick google search.

I bought the packet for hydroponic uses. I've used his other mycogrow products in my garden but I spent a lot of time doting over my plants anyways so I don't know if they helped or not.

4 types of mychorrizae from the product that I purchased:

Glomus intraradices, from wikipedia: In numerous scientific studies G. intraradices has been shown to increase phosphorus uptake in multiple plants as well as improve soil aggregation due to hyphae.[12]
Because of these qualities, G. intaradices is commonly found in mycorrhizal based fertilizers.
In a recent study, Glomus intraradices was found to be the only arbuscular
mycorrhizal fungi that was able to control nutrient uptake amounts by individual hyphae depending on differing phosphorus levels in the surrounding soil.

Glomus mosseae: helps the plant translocate heavy metals from root to shoot which I think would be good for fish since I would effictively remove heavy metals from the tank anytime I trimmed the plants.
gleamed from abstract The arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus mosseae induces growth and metal accumulation changes in...

Glomus aggregatum
Mycorrhizal association of Glomus aggregatum with palmarosa enhances
growth and biomass Mycorrhizal association of Glomus aggregatum with palmarosa enhances growth and biomass

Glomus etunicatum
It is concluded that increased P concentration because of the mycorrhizal symbioses, positively affects the physiological performance of tomato plants...
Effect of Arbuscular Mycorrhiza (Glomus etunicatum) on some physiological growth parameters of tomato plant under copper toxicity in solution.

OK so phosphorous is good for plants that have a few of these mychorrizae attached to their roots... I plan on using soil/PFS mixture capped with eco-complete (it was REALLY cheap and free shipping). I'm very curious about the relationship between these specific mychorrizae and aquatic plants that are submerged!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
by
, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
It was assumed that there are few fungal relationships with aquatic plant roots.
The reason is simple: fungi are aerobic, the sediment is not.

There are a number of fungi that have been found, but their roles are likely somewhat minor.

I found some ectomychorrhizae on Bolbitus.
Other ferns likely have it.

As far as roots, there's bound to be some, but they are not as useful for aquatic species as they are in terrestrial systems.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode