Ada Aqua Soil Amazonia - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Ada Aqua Soil Amazonia

So apart from the ammonia spike is it worth buying or would I be better off making my own MTS? I was going to put some forest sand over the aqua soil to keep it from getting stirred up to much.
Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 04:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
the ammonia spike and the very annoying case of cloudiness at the beginning too. Depending on how big your tank is, it might be more economic to use MTS. But for small, one bag of ADA works wonders and looks great.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishranger View Post
So apart from the ammonia spike is it worth buying or would I be better off making my own MTS? I was going to put some forest sand over the aqua soil to keep it from getting stirred up to much.
Thanks for the advice.
I used the Amazonia 2 in my 55 gallon and had really no issue with cloudiness. The ammonia issue was kind of annoying but in my opinion is worth it in the long run. Also think it's looks great if you are going for a more dark substrate look.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
There are no problems with AS. It is the best plant substrate I have ever used, bar none. It doesn't like to be stirred up though so when you plan a layout you can't really fuss with it. If you are new to the hobby, or plan to move plants around, I would use something more amicable to being disturbed, and cheaper.

Regards,
Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

48G Rimless Mr Aqua
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

37G Oceanic "Cube"
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overfloater View Post
There are no problems with AS. It is the best plant substrate I have ever used, bar none. It doesn't like to be stirred up though so when you plan a layout you can't really fuss with it. If you are new to the hobby, or plan to move plants around, I would use something more amicable to being disturbed, and cheaper.
x2....

I have two aquasoil tanks and no problems with cloudy water. The ammonia is no big deal either unless you are too impatient to wait to add livestock. The plants love the ammonia. Grain size of aquasoil makes it excellent for promoting root development and it looks really nice.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

How long does the clouding last? i got my 1st amazonia soil today. my tank is cloudy.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
Every time I have used AS the cloudiness usually last about two or three weeks. Its always a really weird looking cloudiness its more like a smokey bar. Big water changes and planting early seems to help some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcoffeegirl View Post
How long does the clouding last? i got my 1st amazonia soil today. my tank is cloudy.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 03:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunze View Post
Every time I have used AS the cloudiness usually last about two or three weeks. Its always a really weird looking cloudiness its more like a smokey bar. Big water changes and planting early seems to help some.
Yes, it does help. Just like the instructions tell you to do...

Regards,
Robert

48G Rimless Mr Aqua

37G Oceanic "Cube"
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 03:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

Come on take it easy on me. its my 1st attempt with the whole planted tank thing. I thought i could come here for advice. maybe its experts only forum.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 03:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Hello amcoffeegirl,

You could always feel free to contact me directly and I would be more than happy to assist you with being successful with your planted aquarium

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 06:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
Come on take it easy on me. its my 1st attempt with the whole planted tank thing. I thought i could come here for advice. maybe its experts only forum.
Well mean old me will help

Most folks tend to have limestone tap water wells or sources, perhaps they add more PO4 to the pipes for corrosion control, anyway, something reacts fairly well in the soil to produce the floc(Cloudy stuff).

I use ADA AS a lot and have not found much issues here, but it is likely tap water specific. Low KH's will help most folks. It'll go away with time and good plant growth, good root establishment. The NH4 is not an issues after 3-4 weeks anyway. The cycling will take care of it if the plants have not started to strongly by then either way.

Takes little getting use to, but the soil is really good. If you pant in it lightly, then you will not mash it up, think to grains as clay balls that you do not want to mash up too much, because that is what they really are, semi soft clay.

Some folks have used SeaChem Purigen for nagging issues(ADG as well), I use it, but more for tannin removal, this might help some.
Other than this, just be patient. It should go away.

You will want to do frequent large water changes the first 1-2 months.
Say 2-3x a week, 50% etc. This helps the plants, prevents algae and exports the NH4 and reactive components that cause the cloudiness faster.

BTW, you can also mineralize ADA AS prior to use.
Or use it in a Dry start method, which does the mineralization while the plants grow in and cycles by the time the aquarist fills the tank up.

After 3-4 weeks, the NH4 outer layer on the Grains of clay are depleted.
Same with any soils with NH4.

BTW, every single person here was new once, so we have all been right where you where are at now.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 06:45 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
tom barr your posts are always a good read. very informative.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

thank you for your response. im quite sure i will have alot of questions. its ironic that you answered my post. i had just read an artical called why i hate ada aquasoil. lol
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Quote:
thank you for your response. im quite sure i will have alot of questions. its ironic that you answered my post. i had just read an artical called why i hate ada aquasoil. lol
I don't, the client did and made me hate it
I like it.

I can easily do the same thing in a solid clay mud , MTS basically but the same stuff, just not in a nice rolled grain formulation, for free, but I still suggest this and use it myself.

There are some trade offs, but they are outweighed for most folk's goals, habits etc.

ADA filters? Probably not.
Tanks, I vote yes on those, Penac? Quackery.

So there's a little of everything that is in there, but......if you market every possible thing, there are going to be some items that do not do much if anything and will not offer much trade off other than perhaps thinking you feel good.

But the ADA AS and the tanks are not those.
Well made, look good, perform well and worth the $ comparatively speaking.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

Thanks again for sharing your experience and information. theres always something new to learn. thats why i enjoy this as a hobby.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode