Can dwarf hairgrass roots take hold in... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Can dwarf hairgrass roots take hold in...

Can dwarf hairgrass roots take hold in 100% Eco-Complete?

I saw where someone said that some plants' roots cannot maintain hold in Eco-Complete because of its consistency. That the roots, barely hanging on, just kinda hang above the surface.

Of course my tank is only 2 months old, but when I'm bumping around in there, if I'm not careful the hairgrass easily pops out.
It is sending out nice little runners with green blades coming up, but I'm a little concerned...Well okay, I'm freaking out. Will it eventually get a good hold in 100% Eco-Complete? Do any of you guys successfully grow dwarf hairgrass in it?

~Behold the Savior of mankind,
nailed to the shameful tree.
How vast the love that Him inclined,
to bleed and die for thee.~
Filstar #79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 05:59 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
yea in all subtrate it takes the plants like one or two weeks to settle its roots
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
It most definitely can grow & spread runners in EcoComplete.

John P.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P.
It most definitely can grow & spread runners in EcoComplete.
Can the roots go deep and get a good grip even in 100% EC?

~Behold the Savior of mankind,
nailed to the shameful tree.
How vast the love that Him inclined,
to bleed and die for thee.~
Filstar #79
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 02:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbels
Yes, they can. I had a massive carpet of Hairgrass in 100% EC. They will not stay put intil they get a good hold, just be patience and keep pushing the strands back into the EC.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 03:09 AM

With my microswords, which i suppose are similiar to dwarfgrass, i planted a bit denser than i originally intended to. That way if some came out, i wouldn't be bother by it. I could either plant it or toss it.

None of my plants are having issue rooting in EC.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)
I had the same problem earlier...my hairgrass would keep popping out of the Eco-complete and float on the top...I was getting mad...

at times I thought my flag-fish popped 'em out...

but I kept replanting 'em back deeper.....now they seem to hold down..

Ehiem Pimp # 88
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yes and it spreads so much faster in eco than flourite too
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbels
Here, my tank should answer all your questions .

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 01:55 AM

Thats what Im talkin about !!!!!
Thats beautiful unidurna. I just cleared out a bunch of dwarf sags tonight and I have 2 pots of hairgrass sittin in the tank thats getting planted this weekend I hope.
A question , How deep do you think you can you tweeze this stuff before effecting the plant ?
I am thinking that as long as half the leaf is out of the sub it should be OK ? I really want the roots and runners to start deep, I figure it will take longer to thicken but be better off in the long run. My angels are gonna have a field day , they have been helping themselves to the runners growing off the pot...
How deep did you start yours and what would you do different if you were to start again ?

Thanks...
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
How deep do you think you can you tweeze this stuff before effecting the plant ?

How deep did you start yours and what would you do different if you were to start again ?
You can push hairgrass down pretty far, as the runners travel beneath the substrate. It's first move will not be to send out runners, but to send up new shoots. It then begin sending runners. Soon, you'll see little green threads popping up in the proximity of the parent blades.

I planted mine just below the substrate. I didn't have any snails, cories, angelfish , etc yanking at it, so there wasn't the need to secure it. My first time planting hairgrass I did two things that I would now do differently.

1. If primary growth starts to die off (usually because it was grown emersed), cut it down to .5-1 inch high. Dead grass is an ideal target for algae, and you don't want it to choke out the new growth.

2. Be patient. If algae does make it's move, don't try to remove it. Either cut the blades or wait it out. In my case it was staghorn that attacked the dead grass. After a couple weeks the algae ran its course, died, softened, and could be easily plucked off the grass without uprooting.

Thanks for the compliments, and good luck with those angels

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 08:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
How long didi it take for your hairgrass to spread like that.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
How long didi it take for your hairgrass to spread like that.
Start

2 weeks

4 weeks

6 weeks

8 weeks

12 weeks

15 weeks

17 weeks

20 weeks

25 weeks

30 weeks

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
It's a weed.

Takes a while to get going but once it does, it's a very nice foreground, midground plant.

Does well in ANY substrate, plain sand to soil based subs and kitty litter.

Main things, lots of CO2, good KNO3 dosing, like most plants.

EC is light weight and makes planting more difficult than others, I found flourite and onyx to do better with hair grass though than EC which I tried out with hair grass also.

The gar tank has onyx in it and it's 2-3x the density of EC. EC will grow it, I do not doubt that, but planting/replanting /uprooting is more difficult the lighter the substrate is.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 10:48 PM

lol, finally got tired of the micranthemoides, eh unirdna?

I think it'd be interesting to use the plant to carpet the foreground and midground of a tank with a lot of invertibrates.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode