a little embarassed- please help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy a little embarassed- please help

Girlfriends tank has been sitting way too long. It is about half full, and has not had a filter running on about 6 months or so. Substrate is 100% levelling sand (a bit coarser than play sand).

Should i just drain the tank and trash the sand ? Or, do i empty the sand, rinse it and reuse it over some flourite ? Plan on planting either Glosso or Riccia and growing a carpet (maybe dwarf hairgrass).

Thanks,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 05:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
What else has been in the tank? Any fish? People have successfully used sand as a substrate so unless there's some nasty stuff growing in it you should be okay in just rinsing it out a bit as you change the water in the tank. Pouring it over Flourite will probably just end up with it settling to the bottom and leaving just the Flourite on top.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

had fish and plants in it. The fish were given to a friend and she let the plants die off. I'm just going to trash it all and start from scratch. I was just curious to see if it would be worth saving ....

Thanks,
mike

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 05:40 PM

That nasty stuff has mulm that might be useful, can you just bury the stuff with a layer of new gravel or Flourite?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 02:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

I personally do not like using old gravel/sand over again if starting a new tank. IMO, I would trash it and get a better substrate.

He who angers you, controls you!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Well, I scooped out about half or a little more of it, mixed some flourite with some new sand and used that as a second layer and then topped it off with some new gravel on top. Plumbed everything - Fluval 204 and CO2 - placed my rock and will fill it today. Going to order the dwarf hairgrass in a day or two and away I go...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 02:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
you shoudl take off that gravel if you want drawf hairgrass to root... it has a hard enough time in flourite bu it will work with flourite... bu you shoud've done just sand plus flourite
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

The gravel is very thin I'd say 3/8"-1/4" max
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
well from what i've seen if you want to use gravel have it be around 3 mm in size.... which is just over sand.. you coudl try it but i don't think it'll root well and spread
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
Personally, I would have gotten completely rid of the sand and gone with a better substrate for the new tank as long as you were starting over. I use 100% Flourite in all of my tanks, which works great, except for some of the grasses, which get uprooted by my weather loach because they have such shallow roots. If I thought it would help, I'd take him out of the tank and give him a spanking, the naughtly little bugger.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

I scooped about 90 % of the larger gravel out and added some Tahitian moon sand (black). So now I have about 1 inch of old sand mixed with a bag of fresh flourite and the new "moon" sand on top. All this equals right at or a tad more than 3". I filled the tank today, have a reallllly slow CO2 bubble going (pressurized) and my filter running. I've dosed Flourish Xl and Flourish Iron - very small amount and am going to order the plants later this week.
Think I'm going to go with Glosso...I still wanna do dwarf hairgrass though.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
The Flourite is going to end up on top and the Moon Sand on the bottom. The old stuff will more than likely end up on top of the Flourite if the grain size is bigger.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

its levelling sand mixed with a teeny bit of regular old aquarium gravel (smallish) and flourite all stirred together with the tahitian moon sand (larger than the levelling sand by a mm maybe on top of it all.

I'll get a pic of it tomorrow, my camera batteries were dead today (start a new thread/diary as well) in the General forum
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)
Hey Mike...
the finer substrate will always settle on the bottom...even if u mix it up...

so in ur case the old play sand and moon sand...will settle on the bottom...eventually anyways

Ehiem Pimp # 88

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode