Saving substrate during a move? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Saving substrate during a move?

Ill be moving in the coming months.

Is there a way to remove my amazonia substrate ,without destroying it, and put it back into the tank afterward?

The stuff isn't exactly cheap and would prefer to save as much as possible.

See a new leaf growing.
Can't help smiling.

Last edited by Aquarium_Noob; 01-29-2018 at 05:33 PM. Reason: cuz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 06:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
not sure how big your tank is, but if you can move it while it is filled with water, a filled tank can actually keep the substrate from shifting.

i filled my 7 gallon cube to the very top and sealed it with a bunch of plastic wrap and tape and tape and more tape and more plastic. I find that without an air bubble in the tank, it actually helps to keep everything in place while you're driving around.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

be very careful moving a tank with water in it. I have read lots of threads over the years about cracking tanks that way. most where bigger so it might be possible with smaller tanks??

I wondered the same in the end I decided to use a different substrate because of this...
good luck let us know how it goes.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 10:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarium_Noob View Post
Ill be moving in the coming months.

Is there a way to remove my amazonia substrate ,without destroying it, and put it back into the tank afterward?

The stuff isn't exactly cheap and would prefer to save as much as possible.
I moved my 40g breeder with 4 bags of aquasoil (9L bag) from nyc to baltimore. I removed the substrate with a huge spoon slow and easy on 5g buckets and then do the same thing when you get at your destination.
The tanks is doing better then before

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If the tank isn't too large/heavy, try siphoning the water down to about 1/4" above the substrate, or even a full inch of you have it well planted and mean to leave the plants in place (the roots will do for you what plants on hills do to control erosion, helping keep soil in place). If you remove only the water and large hardscape, it should be fine. I've moved 10-60g tanks this way with no problems.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cengherbogdan View Post
I moved my 40g breeder with 4 bags of aquasoil (9L bag) from nyc to baltimore. I removed the substrate with a huge spoon slow and easy on 5g buckets and then do the same thing when you get at your destination.
The tanks is doing better then before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCris View Post
If the tank isn't too large/heavy, try siphoning the water down to about 1/4" above the substrate, or even a full inch of you have it well planted and mean to leave the plants in place (the roots will do for you what plants on hills do to control erosion, helping keep soil in place). If you remove only the water and large hardscape, it should be fine. I've moved 10-60g tanks this way with no problems.
Thank you for your input! I was considering one of these two ways, but wasn't sure which was better. Since it's only a 20 gallon tank I'm considering removing the plants, siphoning the water, wrapping some cardboard with plastic and placing it over the substrate to prevent any kind of movement during the drive. Thinking about placing some very light 'weights' evenly over the cardboard, but I don't want to crush the pellets.
Other suggestions are more than welcome!

See a new leaf growing.
Can't help smiling.

Last edited by Aquarium_Noob; 02-16-2018 at 03:45 AM. Reason: cuz

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode