5Likes
  • 6 Post By Nlewis
  • 4 Post By Nubster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does Eco-Complete go bad?

Bought everything for a planted tank about 3 years ago and ended up not setting anything up (some life changes). Finally am able to set up a proper tank again and am going to give the planted tank a try. I have 4 sealed bags of Eco-Complete but I have no idea if there is any type of beneficial bacteria that may not have lived the 3 years or whatever. Is my soil still good to use or will I have to pick up some new stuff?

Thanks guys!

Vin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 11:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Functional View Post
Bought everything for a planted tank about 3 years ago and ended up not setting anything up (some life changes). Finally am able to set up a proper tank again and am going to give the planted tank a try. I have 4 sealed bags of Eco-Complete but I have no idea if there is any type of beneficial bacteria that may not have lived the 3 years or whatever. Is my soil still good to use or will I have to pick up some new stuff?

Thanks guys!
No, it doesnít go bad. Itís inert rock.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
At most you might rinse it but I don't know it's needed. The substrate itself is just lava rock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys...if I remember right this stuff was the stuff to use back when I bought it and never bothered to look it up until now. Seems the trend is back on the sand and/or soil with fertz again. Not sure how I feel about the potential for PH/KH swing either...even though its temporary I've been seeing only 3-4 weeks up to 6 months of effects on water. Might end up with PFS anyway.

Vin
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
It's lava rock. Should be no affect on water parameters.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

During the first two weeks I was getting higher GH readings. I didn't rinse mine, though. I was under the impression that it sped up cycling, so I let it be. It was perfectly suitable for shrimp. Now I have to add GH booster to get back in that ideal range... both for plants and shrimp. As previously stated, the media itself is inert.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Interesting. You'd end up paying more using eco-complete or flourite.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 04:20 AM
Algae Grower

Eco Complete has calcium in it and will buffer up the water (sometimes above a PH of 7) initially. But the buffering capacity does taper off over time (usually over a 3-6 month period).

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tankful in Vancouver
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS Fan View Post
Eco Complete has calcium in it and will buffer up the water (sometimes above a PH of 7) initially. But the buffering capacity does taper off over time (usually over a 3-6 month period).

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea this is what I've read, seems hit or miss depending on the batch. Think I'll sell it off locally and just use BDBS instead. Planning on keeping german blue rams and i'm already at a PH of 7 out of the tap. Not looking to fight PH even more with the Eco.

Vin

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode