Amazonia gravel making water Brown? (HELP!) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Amazonia gravel making water Brown? (HELP!)

So I have some amazonia gravel in my tank which I filled up a couple months ago, then I went away to school and left the tank half filled hoping it would maybe leech out all the stuff making my water dirty.. When coming home last week, I drained the remaining water and refilled it only for it to make the water dirty again,, so yesterday I bought some cheap black sand to cap over the amazonia to maybe help it not leech as much dirt into the water coloumn, which worked at first but upon waking up today the water is dark again .

What do I do??? What am i doing wrong? I am very close to just getting rid of it and doing flourite black sand but I spent so much money on the substrate I dont wanna just give in. Any help would be great thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You definitely shouldn't have capped the amazonia soil. The package recommends doing 50% water changes every day for like the first week or so. Also you need to refill your tank really slowly or else it'll kick up the dirt again. The cloudiness eventually goes away but it does take a bit of work to do so.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I read something that someone said, saying that you are supposed to do like a 90% water change everyday for a week with this substrate? Is that true? Or is that for when the water is like milky? Because my water is like dark brown like the color if you get a new piece of wood or if you smash the substrate up and mix it around lol

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
You definitely shouldn't have capped the amazonia soil. The package recommends doing 50% water changes every day for like the first week or so. Also you need to refill your tank really slowly or else it'll kick up the dirt again. The cloudiness eventually goes away but it does take a bit of work to do so.
Oh really? Well what should I do now, now that its capped? I refilled it very slowly the second time even putting paper towl and a plate down so that the substrate is untouched when the water went it. It was clear for a couple hours but then brown again..

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsoccer20 View Post
I read something that someone said, saying that you are supposed to do like a 90% water change everyday for a week with this substrate? Is that true? Or is that for when the water is like milky? Because my water is like dark brown like the color if you get a new piece of wood or if you smash the substrate up and mix it around lol

Bump:

Oh really? Well what should I do now, now that its capped? I refilled it very slowly the second time even putting paper towl and a plate down so that the substrate is untouched when the water went it. It was clear for a couple hours but then brown again..
Yeah you really need to do heavy water changes the first week or so. I threw in some seachem clarity as well which helped a bit but I still ended up doing a ton of water changes anyway because it was leeching too much ammonia into the water. Also I had to fish out a ton of floating debris but I think in the end it was worth it. The soil front-ends a lot of the work but my plants seem to enjoy it.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
Yeah you really need to do heavy water changes the first week or so. I threw in some seachem clarity as well which helped a bit but I still ended up doing a ton of water changes anyway because it was leeching too much ammonia into the water. Also I had to fish out a ton of floating debris but I think in the end it was worth it. The soil front-ends a lot of the work but my plants seem to enjoy it.
So yours was making your water dark brown at first too then? Sounds like water changes in my best option then lol
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 06:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
So yours was making your water dark brown at first too then? Sounds like water changes in my best option then lol
Yeah it was very brown and very cloudly for like a week. I put some crypts in there and they were constantly covered in brown dust from the soil so all the leaves melted off because of it, and the ammonia spikes as well. But I didn't have a very strong filter on my tank either so that probably didn't help. If you have a filter I would just put it in after like 3-5 water changes then load it up with filter floss and biomedia to start cycling the tank and clearing out the water. As the soil absorbs water it doesn't kick up as easily.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
You have to be very careful with AS when you start up a tank to avoid cloudiness. If you put something over the soil and pour water extremely slow over it and then when the water gets to be a few inches or more over the AS, you could hold something above the surface and pour the water onto that.

Many people using AS don't realize the mess it can make. If you do what I mentioned in the 1st paragraph the water will be crystal. I've setup countless tanks with AS and never have a problem with any cloudiness.

The water changes are necessary to keep the ammonia levels in check until the tank cycles.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 06:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Sounds like you rinsed the soil or something.
There should be absolutely no brown anything when done right, maybe a little discoloration but clear not cloudy brown.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
You have to be very careful with AS when you start up a tank to avoid cloudiness. If you put something over the soil and pour water extremely slow over it and then when the water gets to be a few inches or more over the AS, you could hold something above the surface and pour the water onto that.

Many people using AS don't realize the mess it can make. If you do what I mentioned in the 1st paragraph the water will be crystal. I've setup countless tanks with AS and never have a problem with any cloudiness.

The water changes are necessary to keep the ammonia levels in check until the tank cycles.
See that's what I did. I put a thin layer of black sand over the AS then paper towl then a plate and poured the water onto the plate. It was crystal clear for a couple hours then it turned dark brown again. The water is turning like a dark stained brown color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
Sounds like you rinsed the soil or something.
There should be absolutely no brown anything when done right, maybe a little discoloration but clear not cloudy brown.
So you're not supposed to rinse the soil?? What are you supposed to do for it to be "done right" for it to be clear on the initial fill up?

Thanks for the help I'm worried something isn't right because I see people on YouTube put it in and the water is instantly clear lol
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 02:59 AM
Algae Grower

I am cycling a tank using the soil right now, and nothing like that is happening to me. When pooring water, you have to be very very careful not to disturb it.

And the instructions state not to do rinse the sand.

Also I think I found your issue, according to the instruction that was included in the bag:

"When using Amazonia, organic substance may seep into the water and makes the water in yellowish or brownish color if the local tap water has high pH levels. The water coloration stops when aquatic plants grow and cover the entire substrate. Until plants fully grow, please make a frequent water change, and use optional NA CARBON for filteration media"

Also stated in the manual the soil is not suitable for fish that stirs up sand.

And finally they state do not reuse the sand to move between tanks and such.

So depending your setup it maybe a lot of different issues.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 03:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Put a 100 or 50 micron filter pad in your filter.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 12:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
So I have some amazonia gravel in my tank
I think this sums it up. It's not gravel, it's really more like soil, thus the name aqua soil. You don't treat it like dusty gravel that you rinse. Unfortunately you didn't read the directions so you basically rinsed some it away and broke up the granules.

You can still probably use it, just will take some time.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NueoK View Post
I am cycling a tank using the soil right now, and nothing like that is happening to me. When pooring water, you have to be very very careful not to disturb it.

And the instructions state not to do rinse the sand.

Also I think I found your issue, according to the instruction that was included in the bag:

"When using Amazonia, organic substance may seep into the water and makes the water in yellowish or brownish color if the local tap water has high pH levels. The water coloration stops when aquatic plants grow and cover the entire substrate. Until plants fully grow, please make a frequent water change, and use optional NA CARBON for filteration media"

Also stated in the manual the soil is not suitable for fish that stirs up sand.

And finally they state do not reuse the sand to move between tanks and such.

So depending your setup it maybe a lot of different issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Quote:
So I have some amazonia gravel in my tank
I think this sums it up. It's not gravel, it's really more like soil, thus the name aqua soil. You don't treat it like dusty gravel that you rinse. Unfortunately you didn't read the directions so you basically rinsed some it away and broke up the granules.

You can still probably use it, just will take some time.
Well it sounds like I did not read the directions correctly and misused the soil sadly. Here are pics of the tank, I did a 90% WC yesterday at around 1-2 o'clock and the water was 100% clear when I left and now apon just coming home, the tank is looking like this again..

What are your guys thoughts? Does this look normal and I should keep doing WC's or is this a lost cause? Thanks for all the help everyone!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3512_1514655415918.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	814985  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3513_1514655431885.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	814993  

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGee View Post
Put a 100 or 50 micron filter pad in your filter.
This is resolve the water issues? I have a large canister filter and a sponge filter running on the tank currently and the tank still turns the dark brown color shown in the pics above..
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You'll probably have issues from here on out if you rinsed the soil, see it's basically silt pellets, they're held together decently but rinsing them breaks the silt up and then it's not really a pellet anymore.
Put the soil in the tank dry and scape the tank dry and then you can mist it down to plant your plants, and then fill carefully.

One-time I tried to re use aquasoil I had the same issue as you, brown all the time

There are things you can try but not sure they're going to work, removing the soil and drying it in the oven and trying to sift off the dust might help.
it's mixed with sand now though, so I'd say just keep trying big water changes, if it works it works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode