Tropica Aquarium Soil - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tropica Aquarium Soil

Anyone ever used this? How does it compare to, lets say, ADA aqua soil?

I can't find too too much by google searching. They claim it enhances plant's natural colours/reds and encourages proper plant development.

I would just go with aquasoil, but I've obtained a bunch of gift cards for a big box store that only carries tropica's soil, flourite and eco-comp. I want something different than flourite/eco-comp.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have multiple tanks and have used both along with Netlea soil.
I honestly have not noticed any significant advantages of one over the other in relation to plant growth.
Regards

A forum user's post count is like watts/gallon. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of what they're giving.
Do it then talk, nah do it nah talk

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 04:18 AM
Algae Grower

I have used it with no problems, I have 3 healthy tanks with it. I cannot compare as such, as it is the only planting specific substrate I have used. Similar to your situation, at the time it was the only in-stock available -part of a store credit purchase.

29g heavily planted SA: driftwood, rocks, Angels, Corys, Rasboras.
8g Nuvo: Pineapple SuperDumbo, driftwood, java moss and crypts. A jungle.
10g 3x divided Betta planted with Blue Mustard Gas, Red Double Tail HM, Blue/Red Fire Dragon and snails.

Dana

Facebook LasVegas.Freshwater.Aquarists
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 10:32 PM
Algae Grower

I have used tropica and ADA and eco complete.

My ADA Africana is breaking down after 21 months. I regret buying it as this is my main display tank now. And a very thin layer on top is turning powdery making it hard to clean the substrate. Not sure if Amazonia or the Malay one are any different. This is a 80 gallon tank.

Tropica I have in a nano 7 gallon. Does well. Has held strong for over 3 years. Low tech no co2 no ferts plants grow very well.

Ecomplete is my fav to be honest. It's hard as a rock and hasn't broken down since I first used it 4.5-5 years ago. It's in a 10 gallon tank.

I'm planning on setting up more tanks. Maybe a new 120 gallon display or 2 stacked 55 gallon grow outs and I'm going back to eco complete.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaloner View Post
I have used tropica and ADA and eco complete.

My ADA Africana is breaking down after 21 months. I regret buying it as this is my main display tank now. And a very thin layer on top is turning powdery making it hard to clean the substrate. Not sure if Amazonia or the Malay one are any different. This is a 80 gallon tank.

Tropica I have in a nano 7 gallon. Does well. Has held strong for over 3 years. Low tech no co2 no ferts plants grow very well.

Ecomplete is my fav to be honest. It's hard as a rock and hasn't broken down since I first used it 4.5-5 years ago. It's in a 10 gallon tank.

I'm planning on setting up more tanks. Maybe a new 120 gallon display or 2 stacked 55 gallon grow outs and I'm going back to eco complete.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I ended up saving some money and using some existing fluorite and some new fluorite. I like it over eco complete, nicer grain size, stays a nice black colour and grows plants just as well in my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode