this looks like a lot of substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
this looks like a lot of substrate

i did the 3 inches or so of flourite but my god it looks like so much gravel, i'm just not used to seeing that much and its really throwing me off right now. i'm finding myself thinking man, take some out every time i look at the tank, i am coming from a reef tank that i used like 1 bag of sand to just barely cover the bottom so it wasn't just a glass bottom.there is spots in here that are probably 5 inches deep after i made a few dips and humps, is that okay? it just looks like sooo much gravel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I tend to slope my substrate so it is deeper in the back. Makes it less obvious. Try going only 2 inches toward the front of the tank. But going too shallow with substrate in a planted tank doesn't give you much to work with as far as holding the plants down and room for their roots to spread out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 04:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Agreed^. Planting stems in anything shallower than 2 inches can be a real pain, particularly with gravel, which does not grab as well as sand.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i ended up leaving it, it actually worked pretty good for digging down in and help bury some of the drift wood i used. it made it look quite natural sort of like an old stump coming up from the bottom of a lake, then took the front down too just an inch or so above the bottom rim and sloped up the rear and made some high and low spots. Looks pretty good really, i planted some hair grass, not dwarf but regular hair grass and 1 amazon sword. then picked up 2 really small golden angel fish for 5 bucks at pet smart hope it works out. i had every intention of actually letting my tank cycle for a month or so before putting anything in it, never been able to do that in the 30 years of fish keeping and still couldn't this round lol, oh well

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode