2Likes
  • 2 Post By Axelrodi202
  • 2 Post By Axelrodi202

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Half & Half PFS/ADA

Recently moved and am getting ready to ramp up my 55g.

What I am wanting to do scape wise is have roughly half of it built up with lava rock and the covered in ada and very heavily planted. Then the other half, separated by probably an artificial plastic barrier as well as some river stone will be PFS and drift wood possibly very lightly planted like some anubias glued to the wood or something.

I just want to see if anyone around here has any experience doing a split like this. I have done a lot of reading about NOT putting PFS on top of your ada as a cap. Just because of the mess and that they eventually mix anyway. I have read about how to prep your ADA for the first 2 months before stocking. I just havnt been able to find anything specifically referencing what i want to do.

The reason i want the sand is because i intend to stock with apisto's. The reason i want the ADA is i want some serious growth as it will be a no CO2 tank. Trying to figure out how to get the best of both worlds.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I haven't done it myself but I don't see why you couldn't do that. Just remember that you will get mixing near the borders even with a divider.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Just do a cosmetic sand foreground for your apistos, and have the rest of the planted areas as just AquaSoil. If you mix them together you get the benefits of neither.
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\

Last edited by Axelrodi202; 12-16-2017 at 12:50 AM. Reason: duplicate

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Axel, that was more or less what I was planning to do. Front/right side of the tank, roughly 1/3 of the floor area to be nothing but sand and rock cover for the apisto's. The other 2/3rds to be amazon ADA and heavily planted. So when you say dont mix them together, i was not intending to literally mix them up.

on that not though, what kind of plants, if any are going to flourish in sand?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

None will flourish. Some hardier ones like monte carlo will survive. Most ADA literature mentions intentionally using sand in areas where one does not wish for plants to grow.

O_o
\_\
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 10:34 PM
Planted Member

instead of using aquasoil, try some organic potting soil. It's cheaper, releases natural fertilizers (no need to dose) and Co2.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 10:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It's cheaper yes. Also messier, takes way more time to prepare, gives you a cardiac event every time you uproot a plant, can spawn algae, and releases a fraction of the CO2 a pressurized system would.

You get what you pay for, folks.

No matter what your tank size if you do things right you will very quickly make back the cost of ADA soil through plant sales.
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.

O_o
\_\
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yea i more or less read enough about potting soil to pull the cord on it. mostly because of like you mention when uprooting the plants and the general mess it creates.

i dont intend to run pressurized co2 on this tank in the immediate future. i understand if you REALLY want to see lots of growth that it is a necessity. just not something i am prepared to start off with at the moment.

spending the money on 2-3 9L bags of ADA Amazonia isnt gonna break the bank. i figure i will be dosing either way. i just want to have good looking plants, moderate growth, and a good looking tank/environment for my apisto. if i feel the need to introduce co2 in the future i may.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode