3Likes
  • 2 Post By subhendusc
  • 4 Post By Bananableps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted Tank Substrate

Back at it with lots of questions, I do apologize!

What is the gold standard for planted tank substrate these days? I've used Seachem Flourite in the past, but I can only imagine there are a handful of other good candidates out there. Ideally I'd find something that doesn't breakdown as quickly and doesn't need to be replaced or added on a "regular" basis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

In my opinion, the "Gold Standard" is ADA Aquasoil with ADA Power Sand Special as a base layer. Itís expensive as hell, but by a lot of accounts, itís worth it.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 01:34 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
In my opinion, the "Gold Standard" is ADA Aquasoil with ADA Power Sand Special as a base layer. Itís expensive as hell, but by a lot of accounts, itís worth it.
Use Dirt / natural soil. Its cheap and grows plants really well. I used Coco peat + Vermiculite as a substrate. It worked as a wonder in my 93.0 gallons
Bananableps and Bananableps like this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhendusc View Post
Use Dirt / natural soil. Its cheap and grows plants really well. I used Coco peat + Vermiculite as a substrate. It worked as a wonder in my 93.0 gallons
Dirt works, no doubt about it. It also comes with downfalls like difficulty pulling and replanting without breaking the cap and creating a total mess.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
There isn't really a "gold standard". The highest tech tanks these days often use completely inert substrate, making the substrate decision more a matter of aesthetics than anything. There appears to be a general consensus on this forum that fluorite-based substrates are a waste of money.

Substrate choice is less about aquarium quality and more about aquarium maintenance preferences. Non-inert substrates like aquasoil and dirt are used by people who want to reduce maintenance by mitigating/eliminating the need to add ferts. Dirt can even serve as a CO2 source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
Dirt works, no doubt about it. It also comes with downfalls like difficulty pulling and replanting without breaking the cap and creating a total mess.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
It is of course easier to move plants in non-dirt substrate, but moving them in dirt is not all that bad. Cap breach can be avoided by using scissors to cut the plant roots under the substrate before pulling.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 10:06 PM
Algae Grower

I am a newbie at this game so maybe I am doing something wrong but ada amazonia soil really clouds up my tank if I pull a plant out. Seems worse than some of the dirted tanks I see people have. Most aqua soils are manufactured and sourced through the same wholesale manufacture it seems to me. For me the next soil that I will buy will be SAMURAI SOIL which claims to not crumble as much as ada soils and is much less murky. I suspect it is the same product as CAL BLACK EARTH which for all accounts I do not believe is sold to the US market. Mind you this is is just a speculation based on the general business practice of aquarium soils.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Far and away the gold standard for planted tanks is ADA Aquasoil. Considering how often you change substrates the difference in price really amounts to very little.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode