Expanding planted section of fish pond - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Bananableps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Expanding planted section of fish pond

Hi all, I was experimenting with adding aquatic plants rooted in substrate into my fish pond. After many tries, it has finally taken off fairly rapidly and I am now faced with the question of how I can expand the planted section of the pond.

Right now the planted section merely consists of some dwarf sagittarius, echinodorous & some vallisneria rooted into the ADA aquasoil. The pond is low tech, outdoors and lit with natural sunlight, and primarily faces the issue of algae, which seems to have improved with the addition of yamato & ghost shrimp.

What substrate would you guys suggest to add into a pre-existing fish pond like this to expand the planted tank section with minimal fuss? I will not be attempting to grow high maintenance plants with require the input of CO2. Ideally the substrate can be added with less fuss (had a lot of problems with cloudiness and water parameters with ADA), but still be able to maintain some low maintenance plants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am assuming this is a container pond, not a dug pond. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My ponds are fully dirted with pool filter caps, which gets great growth - thick DHG carpets and ludwigia cuba growing emergently in the summer. For an already filled pond like your's I have heard a lot of people have good results using containers of substrate that can be added and removed. Large tupperware filled with capped dirt can be placed in areas that get the best light.

As for plants to use, native plants are the way to go. Growing Cuba was fun (note that it cannot become invasive in the north east - too cold), but next year I'm going to go back to myrio and native ludwigia species, maybe some mermaid weed.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

I actually have the privilege in this respect of living in a tropical country of about 28-32 degrees celsius. The water is just about slightly cooler, therefore most "aquarium plants" are fair game to me.

I would definitely consider pre-planting some containers and then adding it in but I wonder how aesthetic that might look. I took some measurements yesterday, and the substrate layer is just about 3cm thick. This is a metre square pond.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 06:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ah, well if you live in a tropical country then I would definitely suggest being particularly careful about sticking to native plants! Aquarists are responsible for a number of infamous environmental problems involving invasive species. Where abouts do you live?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

It is a container pond so I wouldn't be too worried about it. I am in Singapore. I was actually thinking of ADA Amazonia Light for this venture, would that still be advisable?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode