2Likes
  • 2 Post By dukydaf
  • 2 Post By houseofcards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (31/100%)
Amazonia substrate selection - Help

I am redoing my 120g planted. Currently has pool filter sand substrate. It's ok but not really happy.
Planning on going with ADA Amazonia.

Question 1: Should I get couple bags of powder type and have as a first layer and then the normal type on top? or can I just use only the normal type? I am planning on having a carpet in the foreground.

Thanks
Pilla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
From what I see....it seems most do it the other way around...regular under powder. Or just straight one or the other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 09:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
For a 120G tank, go regular all the way, I have grown HC in regular without issue, just stick it deep enough. Larger plants will have no problem with the normal grain size.

Powder is more to give the impression of a larger tank for nanos.

Keep up on the water changes with new ADA AS
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.

On hiatus till later this year

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 09:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

The one thing I would caution you on is that using Amazonia in a large tank like that can get very expensive. If you go the whole route and use it with power sand, you can end up spending about $350 on "dirt" for your tank.

I'm not saying don't do it, but you might find other options will give you similar results at a far lower cost.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks guys.

I considered other options. Used eco complete few years back. I was happy but reading reviews over here made me sway towards ADA.
Cost is a factor but really not a big deal if I could get the results.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
If you think about the number of times you change your substrate the difference in costs between AS and other substrates is really very small. You don't need the powder for carpet plants nor do you really need the powersand.
dukydaf and dukydaf like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I agree on not needing power sand. Use lava rock if your trying to create elevation. Much cheaper. Also, the amount of ammonia that will be leached will be very large. So keep in mind the water changes youíll need to do. I had to do one water change a day for a month in my 60cm. Even then I still got a bit of diatom algae. Donít want to know how much algae I would have gotten if I didnít keep up on maintenance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnalp View Post
I agree on not needing power sand. Use lava rock if your trying to create elevation. Much cheaper. Also, the amount of ammonia that will be leached will be very large. So keep in mind the water changes youíll need to do. I had to do one water change a day for a month in my 60cm. Even then I still got a bit of diatom algae. Donít want to know how much algae I would have gotten if I didnít keep up on maintenance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks.
I'll definitely do elevation. Searching for a an easy and tested way to do that.

Question about water changes. On a 120G it'll be a lot of water to change everyday. Instead of filling the tank full can I do it 50 or 60% or just where the filter intake is submerged?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 07:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilla View Post
Thanks.
I'll definitely do elevation. Searching for a an easy and tested way to do that.

Question about water changes. On a 120G it'll be a lot of water to change everyday. Instead of filling the tank full can I do it 50 or 60% or just where the filter intake is submerged?

You can do that, just keep an eye on the ammonia. Alternatively you can do DSM which supposedly reduces the amount of ammonia when you flood the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode