Reusing Substrate (Eco Complete?) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Reusing Substrate (Eco Complete?)

I have a bag of substrate I saved from a tank break down several years ago. I forgot I had it, so I was planning to use Black Diamond sand for the new set up, but if I can use what I already have, even better. I liked the sand because it was inert and wouldn't result in a ammonia spike like ADA Amazonia or something similar. My plan is to set up the tank heavily planted and minimize water changes.

Is there anything I should keep in mind reusing the old substrate? I know I rinsed it well and let it dry fully before I stored it. If I had to guess, I think it's probably Eco Complete but I don't remember for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The Eco will eventually make its way to the surface. So if you donít want to see it, then donít use it and get some more BDBS.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
The Eco will eventually make its way to the surface. So if you donít want to see it, then donít use it and get some more BDBS.
Thanks. I have enough to just reuse the old by itself and if I did sand I will use it alone also. I mostly wanting to make sure that I won't get any algae blooms/ammonia spikes/etc from reusing the old substrate. I have seen several people say Eco Complete is inert so if that is what it is I would think I would be OK...?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnSun View Post
Thanks. I have enough to just reuse the old by itself and if I did sand I will use it alone also. I mostly wanting to make sure that I won't get any algae blooms/ammonia spikes/etc from reusing the old substrate. I have seen several people say Eco Complete is inert so if that is what it is I would think I would be OK...?
Itís lava rock, so yes itís inert. I dont believe what they state saying it has nutrients available to plants. It does however have the ability to soak up ferts for plants to use later on.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I love Eco-Complete and yeah...it's just crushed lava rock. Unless something was added to it...there's no nutrients in the substrate and if it's old...anything that was in there is likely long gone anyways. I'd reuse it for sure. I was going to buy some more for my new tank but I found a much better deal on straight up lava rock sand that's not marketed towards the aquarium hobby which means much less $$$. As we all know...you can buy pool sand at Lowe's for a few bucks for 50#. Throw 20# in a bag with the word aquarium on it and sell it at the LFS and the price triples for half the amount.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode