Holy crap, How long do I have to clean this stuff?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Holy crap, How long do I have to clean this stuff??

Ahhhhhh!!!! I just got 30lbs of flourite today and two hours and 1000 gallons later what do I have? Dirty flourite. I heard that this stuff was messy but I had no idea. It pretty clean and the water will stay clear as long as i dont stir it up. Is this how it's soposed to be? Do any of you have any good rinsing tecniques? Thanks

Kevint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 03:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I never have rinsed flourite, I just fill the tank carefully.

Why wash away the good stuff?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
opening soon
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 04:21 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Hey, I agree!! Instead of spending your time rinsingrinsingrinsingrinsingrinsingrinsingrinsingr insing the flourite, let your water trickle into the tank really slowly. The fine particles will disappear in between the larger ones.

Like T said... don't wash away ALL the good stuff...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I wash my Flourite to get the dust off. But the method I use keeps all the fine particles. It seems that due to the extra shipping and handling the Flourite here on the left coast may be a lot dirtier than that on the east coast. I cover how I wash Flourite in my Guide.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 07:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Great method to washing Flourite- wet all the contents and let it completly dry in the sun. Then add to tank and fill it, no dust!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

LOL!!!! I feel so stupid! Oh well, At least its relativly clean now. I just added it to my tank very carefully and it clouded up a bit but now it's starting to settle. I wish I asked this before I started rinsing. Rex Grig, I sinsed it in a simmilar way as you. I just got a regular strainer and ran water through it while putting a bucket underneath to catch all of the fine particles. Thanks for the advice you guys and if I get more flourite I'll be sure to use your methodes. THanks

Kevin
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

WOW!!! I just changed the water and refilled it V E R Y slowly and now I got perfectly clean water. YAY!!!! Thanks for the help!

Kevin
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I have heard of people using the "wet and let dry" method of rinsing flourite. I even decided to try it.

I rinsed half a bag laid it out on a towel, and waited. And waited. And waited. And waited some more! Half a bag took forever, and I had eight bags to rinse. I put the stuff in plastic shoe boxes, ran some water into those boxes and agitated the Flourite. It took a while but I got it done!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 01:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
Haha, you guys have all got it wrong! When I set up my 75 gallon tank, I was far too impatient to rinse every single bag of Flourite I had, so I just did it the "easy" way. I don't think I completely grasped what would happen when I sprayed water in there.
Here's how my planting went:
1) Spray water into tank. Wait for a day for mud to turn to water.
2) Add one group of plants.
3) Wait for half a day for the mud to settle so I can see the plants I just put in.
4) Add another group of plants.
5) Wait another half day for the mud to settle. Wonder if I put the plants in the right spot, considering I had to plant them by touch.
6) Reapeat far too many times.

Feel free to use this as a guide to setting up a tank with pure flourite, heh.

-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 05:56 PM

when i deal with this stufe i just pour the Flourite in the tank and fill the tank all the
way and i do a water change and about 30 gallon later its clean the tank is a 10 gallon btw it works for me but it might not for some of you
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 10:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
i dont rinse mine at all...

but what about getting some 5 gal buckets? let water run through and over flow while rinsing the substrate..lol like panning for gold!

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
i dont rinse mine at all...

but what about getting some 5 gal buckets? let water run through and over flow while rinsing the substrate..lol like panning for gold!
Thats like what I did! It did a pretty good job. Ok after about a week I still have slightly muddy looking water. It pretty good but I still want to get it cleaner. I think I'm gonna do a water change tonight. It better clear up cause it starting to annoy me. lol

Kevin
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
You should rinse the flourite for that very purpose if nothing at all..
I rinsed 6 bags when I did mine in a 5gal bucket, took about an hour...filled tank and it was done, you don't have to worry about muddy water for a week+
If you don't rinse it, I would suspect that if you do anything major in the tank like a complete rebuild, which I do on occasion, that tank will explode with mud again.

And, you will not lose valuable nutrients, or as some call it The good stuff only rinsing the crud out.

Craig

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 12:27 PM

5-gallon bucket and your garden hose. Tilt the bucket some and let the water flow full flow while stirring the fluorite with you hand . The overflow from the tilt will wash away the dust. Continue until it clears up. With the high flow of your garden hose it is not that big of a deal.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 04:35 AM Thread Starter

Ok my water si still cloudy and muddy looking. This is starting to get really annoying. I have done a few water changes and they seem to clear up the water for a while but then within a few hours its back to the same. Any ideas? My plants are growing like crazy and I really don't want to try any of those rinsing methodes because that would involve dismantling the tank. Thanks

Kevin

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode