Natural sand recommendation - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Natural sand recommendation

Can someone recommend a natural looking sea sand I can put into my freshwater aquarium? Looking for something with different grain sizes and colours..
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 09:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I would watch sea sand as most of it is actually broken down coral and shells which will increase your PH dramatically. Make sure you stick with silica based sands unless you are going for a hard water freshwater tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 10:18 PM
Planted Member

If you want to use alkaline sand, have some PH regulator on hand.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 11:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Caribsea has a pretty comprehensive list of sands and gravels. For my newest tank I am mixing very fine Sunset Gold sand with a bit of Peace River gravel (which is a pretty small sized gravel). They describe the mm size of the particles for all their sands and they carry fresh water and marine sands as well as those with pH buffer for African cichlids.

ADA has two sand types as well. A fine white one called La Plata and a slightly larger (but still very small grained) tan sand called Colorado. Both of these sands are larger in grain size than the finest of the Caribsea ones which are almost powder like. Colorado to me seems like an ideal size for Corydoras and other bottom dwellers to sift through.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I?ll take a look at the brands.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 06:45 AM
Algae Grower

I use play sand in one of my tanks. Some advise against it, but I personally love it and haven't had any issues. Tank has been setup for a few years now.

Last edited by crisp330; 10-24-2017 at 04:01 PM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 12:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Play sand is fine. As crisp330 notes, it's not very popular because the small grain size can be a nuisance. Pool filter sand has a larger (heavier) grain size, so it does not kick up as easily. Thing is, "wild" sand comes in many grain sizes, while commercial sand is typically sifted for consistent grain size. If you want to create a truly natural look without having to wild-collect, you could try mixing pool filter sand with play sand. Sprinkle some light-colored pea gravel over that and you're halfway to a biotope tank.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi kimdive,

I don't know if you will find it where you live or not but most Ace Hardware can order it in for you; HTH Pool Filter Sand is probably one of the best; all quartz, inert, and relatively clean. Although it is not the cheapest it is not expensive either. Take a look at the comments for the product and how many come from aquarium hobbyists and what they say.

houseofcards and houseofcards like this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 04:55 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Highly recommend PFS. Cheap enough to remove/replace if it mixes with another substrate and less likely to go anaerobic
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 05:46 PM
Planted Member

I have Red Flint brand pool filter sand in my 300 and really like the variation in coloration. if you wanted to vary the size of the grains they do sell a wide array of grain sizes and mixtures that you can get samples of on their website.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 07:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi kimdive,

I don't know if you will find it where you live or not but most Ace Hardware can order it in for you; HTH Pool Filter Sand is probably one of the best; all quartz, inert, and relatively clean. Although it is not the cheapest it is not expensive either. Take a look at the comments for the product and how many come from aquarium hobbyists and what they say.
In NYC, ordering from Ace is the only way to get PFS. I've lugged so many of those bags on the subway...
If I ever develop back problems, I blame hth for not offering a smaller product portion size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanderson View Post
I have Red Flint brand pool filter sand in my 300 and really like the variation in coloration. if you wanted to vary the size of the grains they do sell a wide array of grain sizes and mixtures that you can get samples of on their website.
Would you mind posting a pic? I'd be interested in seeing.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would definitely check out Caribsea's line. Pfs is pretty good too. I am defintely doing something from caribsea for my next build. I bought Ada La Plata for my current build. While it looks nice, it was not worth the price.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi @sevendust111,

Be cautious of Caribsea products. They have had issues with some of their substrate products effecting PH / dKH due to pieces of shell in the substrate. If you chose a Caribsea product buy one bag. Take a glass of tap water and after letting it de-gas for 24 hours measure the PH and dKH. Add a handful of substrate from the bag, stir, walk away. The next day stir and walk away. Repeat for 5-7 days then measure the PH and dKH.....are they the same....then great! If not.....then pass.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Hi @sevendust111,

Be cautious of Caribsea products. They have had issues with some of their substrate products effecting PH / dKH due to pieces of shell in the substrate. If you chose a Caribsea product buy one bag. Take a glass of tap water and after letting it de-gas for 24 hours measure the PH and dKH. Add a handful of substrate from the bag, stir, walk away. The next day stir and walk away. Repeat for 5-7 days then measure the PH and dKH.....are they the same....then great! If not.....then pass.
Thanks. Good to know.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Hi @sevendust111,Be cautious of Caribsea products.
Be also cautious about Seachem's Onyx Sand. They say it will raise KH (which it does), but they make no mention of GH. My GH spiked from 4 up to 9. It continues to rise to this level after every water change (50% using RODI). Had Seachem put this into their product info, I would not have bought it. Now, I'm stuck. VERY unusual for Seachem to be so sloppy about their product info.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode