Buck's san/flourite - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Buck's san/flourite

Ive decided to tryout Bucks san/flourite Since its really cheap. Anyone besides Buck use this? http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...0392-286-14104
Is this sand Good enough? If so ima go pick up a bag!

https://www.plantedtank.net/sandsubstrate.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Make sure of what's in the bag before you buy it. The same bag is used for different types of sand depending on where you live. Here in the Pacific NW that sand is basically basalt flour. It's dark colored and very fine. It would compact in a heartbeat and cause endless problems in your tank. In other areas of the country it's a nice coarse silica sand.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 10:05 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
The same bag is used for different types of sand depending on where you live.
Now that is another new one on me....I am on the East Coast and have never known it to be different, but then again I have not traveled the country to buy sand. Have you Rex ?

ALL sands will compact with time, some quicker then others but plants can also be found growing in ALL sandy bottoms throughout the country... that I have witnessed.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have seen this just by driving a couple of hundred miles. Most times the sand you buy in Eastern Washington from THE BORG is different than the same bag of sand in Western Oregon. Many times the large retailer will supply the bags to the local sand and gravel company and just have them fill them. Here on the left coast most sand and gravel is obtained locally which normally means within 50 miles or so. Or at least no further than the closest warehouse. There is no money in transporting a $3 bag of sand any further than you absolutely must.

Since most sand is mined from river bottoms or dry river beds the higher upstream you are the coarser the sand will be. And here in Portland we are pretty much downstream.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Im gunna buy some of that regular play sand, is that fine?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 01:30 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
is that fine
Fine as in OK, or fine as in the size of the grains of sand.

I am thinking what Rex has said about the sand does make sense. From an economic standpoint, it would make much more sense for a company to use a locally available product. The merchant would be able to purchase the product and pay a lower freight charge.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
IF you can afford it at all i wouldn't skimp on substrate.. I tried to skimp by usign profile substrate... not i'm tearing the tank down AGAIN to use eco-complete
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 02:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Just remember sand over fluorite will become fluorite over sand with time. Hope you don't mind the larger chips on your sand.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Many bulk commodity products may share the same bag but actually be different in makeup. Kitty litter is one, sand is another. I happen to know a guy who works at a very large sand and gravel outfit locally. And they do get the bags and fill them for all the local chains. It's the same sand in a different package.

And that's why I am so adamant about not just telling people to go to the local BORG and buy a bag of sand.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 03:20 PM

I agree with Rex on this point. I actually work in the kitty litter industry. Most manufacturers use several different mines across the country to reduce transportation costs. So, if you buy a bag of product on the East Coast, it will contain different clay than the same bag of product on the West coast. There is only one main producer of cat litter that uses the same base clay throughout the U.S.

Dan
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you Dan. I have been pounding that drum for a couple of years now and there are/were people that did not believe me. I have been told that the $0.99 bag of KL at Wal-Mart is the same everywhere. I knew for a fact that it was not true.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

just bought

I just bought a Hagen co2 system and a 50 lb bag of sand from lowes, I also have an extra bubble counter-diffuser for my 30 gal im setting up after christmas. I have 1 question.. I have a bubble wand "bubble stick" in my tank, Should i take it out if i have co2 or it wont disrupt it at all? Can i put the bubble counter on the side of the tank or does it "HAVE" to go in the back. Thanks for all responds!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 10:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

dboy101

Bubbles do disrupt CO2. But you may win the 'sillyscape' contest.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 12:56 PM

Rex,

You are absolutely correct about the Kitty litter, sand, etc. The shipping costs eat into any kind of profit for the company. The company that co-packs the litter for Walmart actually has three different clay mines across the U.S. If you compare East Coast product to West Coast product they look visually different (usually the clay is the same sieve size, but is a distinctly different color).

I always thought it was kind of funny that the two largest producers of cat litter in the U.S. are Clorox and Nestle.

Dan
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 12:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewcew
Rex,

You are absolutely correct about the Kitty litter, sand, etc. The shipping costs eat into any kind of profit for the company. The company that co-packs the litter for Walmart actually has three different clay mines across the U.S. If you compare East Coast product to West Coast product they look visually different (usually the clay is the same sieve size, but is a distinctly different color).

I always thought it was kind of funny that the two largest producers of cat litter in the U.S. are Clorox and Nestle.

Dan
thats funny cause Clorox also makes Salad dressing and BBQ sauce...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode