How Many Pounds of ADA For 40 Breeder? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
How Many Pounds of ADA For 40 Breeder?

Hi, all!
I've recently purchased a 40 gallon breeder style tank and am looking to purchase the best substrate for my plants. I'm being told that this is ADA Aquasoil and that I should buy 100lbs of it for my tank. Is ADA really that good? And do I actually need 100lbs to give my plants the proper room to grow? Any advice is helpful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 12:56 AM
Algae Grower

I used 2 and 1/2 9 liter bags in my tank I do not have much of a slop going on so depending on your hardscapes and how you lay it out you may need more or less. Two 9l bags will be pretty flat give about 2-3" of depth. It seems most people prefer to leave the back a bit higher than the front or sometimes I see slops going from left to right. I would think the bare min would be two 9l bags. you could also use bags full of lava rocks to make mounds give hill effects that will take some space so you can use less soil. I mean media filter bags like a 6" bag or something stuffed full of lava rocks to raise some of your hardscapes instead of having a mound of aquasoil.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 09:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
^^^^

accurate

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 10:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by negen View Post
I used 2 and 1/2 9 liter bags in my tank I do not have much of a slop going on so depending on your hardscapes and how you lay it out you may need more or less. Two 9l bags will be pretty flat give about 2-3" of depth. It seems most people prefer to leave the back a bit higher than the front or sometimes I see slops going from left to right. I would think the bare min would be two 9l bags. you could also use bags full of lava rocks to make mounds give hill effects that will take some space so you can use less soil. I mean media filter bags like a 6" bag or something stuffed full of lava rocks to raise some of your hardscapes instead of having a mound of aquasoil.
This.

I just filled two 40b's and used two and a half 9L bags in each one. This gave me a pretty consistent 3" over the bottom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 05:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

For what it is worth I did 70 pounds of Caribsea Super Naturals Sunset Gold and got good depth and coverage. Maybe more like 65 pounds because I used 3-5 pounds in my little Betta tank. Obviously not the same stuff but it gives you an idea.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode