GRavel help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
GRavel help

Hey guys I have a quick question, Right now i have a 10 gallon planted tank..
I dont have fertilized rocks and stuff.I jsut have regular natural colored gravel from petsmart.When I look @ the pictures of ur tanks i see that small plants start to grow in yout tanks, but no plants grow from the gravel out of mine. Can someone tell me why this is? I am planning on setting up a 30 gal after xmas so any advice will help me thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 12:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I would guess it's because someone planted those small plants there. Plants are not just going to magically appear in your tank, no matter what gravel you are using.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 12:26 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Im not quite sure what you mean by small plants growing out of it but I think you just might not have the type of plants that grow that way in your tank. I think you are referring to foreground type plants that propagate themseleves that way, they send out runners that turn into a carpet look.
Stem Plants dont spread that way.
In such a small tank as your 10 it would be inexpensive and beneficial to change that gravel to a substrate such as Flourite or Eco-Complete, they are just a good iron rich medium to help the plants.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

to add to what buck has said, some plants such as crypts, in a new substrate such as gravel, may take months to send out runners, ime.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 04:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Kinda confussed on your question, but if using plain gravel you also need to add root tabs so that the roots will be getting nutrients, even more so if you have root feeders like Swords and Crypts. If I was you when setting up your new 30G tank I would start out with gravel made for plants like Eco-complete, its very easy to use no rinsing just open the bag and pour it in the tank.

Last but not least... Welcome to the forum

He who angers you, controls you!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

responded

Yes for my 30 Gal i was planning on using play sand from lowes and some flourite from pets mart.. I want Co2 but I do not know much about it, my lfs [petsmart] Does have a co2 setup for a 20 gal tank.. Do you think it would work for a 30? and also I have to have co2 for my plants to stay green and grow? Thanks,and also Yes i was talking about the forground plants that send our small ones to make a carpet type look, There called crypts? can they be found at a lfs?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2004, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
There is only a couple of Crypts that I would call carpet plants. C. parva and C. willisii. You will be hard pressed to find either one at a local fish store. Also they need quite a bit more light than most Crypts and are slow growing.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 12:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Perhaps you could refer us to a pic of the plants you're talking about?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Eheim Classic 2213, community, heavily planted, 65W CF, 2x Hagen CO2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval 3 Plus, nothin' but shrimp & snails, 65W CF, Hagen CO2

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2004, 02:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

Dboy... I think your are talking about a Hagan Natural plant system, if so you would need two for a 30G tank. I would go DIY C02, here is a link that will help you build one... http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/

Yes, plants will always do better with C02 however the plants will get more benifit from C02 the higher wattage you have over the tank. In other words you will only need to run C02 if you have 2+WPG.

Crypts will not make a good forground plant, better used as a mid-ground plant. Depending on your light (wattage) good carpet plants you could use is Dwarf hairgrass, Dwarf Sag., Glosso and Baby Tears.

He who angers you, controls you!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode