"Special Kitty" litter with dirted tank... - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Seattle_Aquarist
  • 2 Post By KayakJimW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
"Special Kitty" litter with dirted tank...

I read about mixing some basic baked clay kitty litter (Special Kitty) in with my Miracle Grow Organic Choice soil. It helps hold the nutrients in the soil so it's available for the plant roots when they need them.
So I did that in my most recent planted tank, and capped with Black diamond blasting sand. This was a few months ago, the tank is doing great, my fish is doing great, and my plants are doing well. (5 gal acrylic bowfront, Crowntail Betta, Malaysian trumpet snails, Anubias, some small Java fern, some plants with roots, some floating plants.)

In the last week or so, I've noticed what looks like chips of the kitty litter coming up through my black diamond cap. Could the snails be moving it up as they do their thing to keep the soil healthy? Can I just push the litter back into the soil? Or should I take it out? Maybe my next tank, I should put a thin layer of the litter down first and then the soil?

You can see the chips to the left of the aquarium.

Bump:

"All men are equal before fish."

Last edited by Betta Midler; 09-15-2017 at 04:54 AM. Reason: bad photo link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Betta Midler,

Because the 'Special Kitty' is much lighter than the Black Diamond blasting sand any disturbance in the substrate (including digging snails) will cause the BDBS to sink downward and the 'Special Kitty' and soil to move upward. A thinner layer or soil / Special Kitty and or a thicker layer of BDBS will help mitigate the problem but gravity will always win.
Betta Midler and Betta Midler like this.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 03:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
In addition to the weight difference, size is also a factor. Even if they weighed the same, the smaller particles will find their way to the bottom

...and Betta Midler is a hilarious name!

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Seattle_Aquarist -
Thanks - I hadn't thought about the relative weights... I have a pretty thin layer of soil already, I suppose I could add more black diamond on top, though like you say, the clay chunks will continue to work their way up. Sounds like my best bet is to live with it until I'm ready to re-do the tank.

KayakJimW -
Good point about particle size! I'm thinking when I re-do the tank, I'll get real clay, or just leave it out all together. My work tank (10 gal, way more heavily planted than the 5 gal) has been running about 18 months now and the plants are still growing like crazy. My work tank was my first one (let's not count those little betta bowls I had in the 80's) and I started it as a Walsted, though I have added a sponge filter to keep the debris collected and prevent the scummy stuff on top.

... and glad you like my "nom de poisson"!

"All men are equal before fish."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I topped the kitty litter with river sand in my 20g long.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode