Clouding Aquasoil and Purigen? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By loveflying1991

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Clouding Aquasoil and Purigen?

I have been running an 50 gallon tank with aquasoil amazonia for a week now and the water is still hazy despite my daily water changes and slow refills.

I have some purigen in the filter already and am considering adding some more, but if you guys have any advice or experience regarding aquasoil, it would be much appreciated.
infamouz23 and infamouz23 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Purigen is a form of chemical filtration meant to remove organics like tannins from the water.

To get rid of the dust water changes are really your best bet along with good mechanical filtration with some form of polishing pad (like the white polystyrene floss).

If you really get impatient and want to try something else you can try using a product like clarity which is a flocculating agent. It will make it easier for your filter to capture particulates, but this will at least initially make your water look even cloudier.

A more simply thing you might try is actually ensure your filter/wavemaker/powerhead is not running and give the particulate a chance to settle.

Anyway just my two cents, I have not personally used ADA aquasoil myself but I use fluorite which is also notoriously dusty.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highseq View Post
Purigen is a form of chemical filtration meant to remove organics like tannins from the water.

To get rid of the dust water changes are really your best bet along with good mechanical filtration with some form of polishing pad (like the white polystyrene floss).

If you really get impatient and want to try something else you can try using a product like clarity which is a flocculating agent. It will make it easier for your filter to capture particulates, but this will at least initially make your water look even cloudier.

A more simply thing you might try is actually ensure your filter/wavemaker/powerhead is not running and give the particulate a chance to settle.

Anyway just my two cents, I have not personally used ADA aquasoil myself but I use fluorite which is also notoriously dusty.

Thanks for the input!

I am trying to figure out if the water is cloudy from dust particles or from tannins. The water does have a slight tea color but it also seems slightly opaque.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Tank Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode