2Likes
  • 2 Post By dcutl002
  • 2 Post By Tnalp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
rs1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA additives is it necessary to use them?

Can the ADA Aquasoil the -larger size- be used by its self?
The 3 bottles of the additives are like $19.00 each.
I'll be using root capsules and dosing the water.

Has anyone tried this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
ADA additives is it necessary to use them?

Depends on who you ask. Some people like @plantbrain (Tom Barr) do not use the additives, but there are others that swear by the additives like Penac P, powersand, etc. me, I follow Tom Barr's method and just use the Aquasoil and Ei dosing with CO2...seems to work okay for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DigityDog70 and DigityDog70 like this.

Last edited by dcutl002; 08-29-2017 at 11:24 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 06:04 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Some of the stuff that the additives would provide you might already be getting in different ways. Like bacteria and/or carbon, etc. You really don't need them IMO. I've setup plenty of tank without.

BTW Don't waste your money on root capsules, the Aquasoil is loaded with nutrients you might make a mess with them in the AS.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 06:39 PM
Algae Grower

I'm a big fan of ADA (if you can't tell) and try to keep my setups as close to possible to Amano's recommendations. Despite that however, I do not use the soil additives in my tanks. For me it was mainly a cost saving measure and not a matter of usefulness. I do have Bacter 100 but I apply that to the Bio Rio in my canister filter every time I do maintenance. No clue if it's doing anything but also have never had issues.

The bottom line is, nobody on these forums can tell you for certain to what degree the additives do or don't benefit the tank. All that we know is that many successful ADA tanks have used the additives, so we at least know it won't harm the tank. Whether or not each additive is beneficial is widely debated.

If you have the money and would like to keep your nature aquarium as close in style and spirit as an Amano tank then I say go for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ADA 60P Iwagumi Style - Jul 2017
ADA 30C Nature Style - Aug 2017
ADA Mini M Iwagumi Style - Sep 2017
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
rs1
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info everyone. Hey MadMensch I was thinking about the Bacter 100. Can you put that under the substrate?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I only use Amazonia and the super sand special. Never have I used the additives. I once had them in my cart and it was 80$ before shipping.. I giggled and removed them from my cart.
Here are three of my tanks that have just used power sand special and Amazonia.

Remember that ADA Is a retailer that wants to cross sell you. Why you you think they sell a 500$+ filter yet don't include bio rio? That's just something else for you to buy.

I'm a fan of ADA, but not of all products. For all I know they are selling me powdered sugar.

DigityDog70 and DigityDog70 like this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 02:52 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnalp View Post
Hey Tnalp is that a fan at the top of your tanks? Mind if I ask where you got them?

Also, nice carpet! Very clean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ADA 60P Iwagumi Style - Jul 2017
ADA 30C Nature Style - Aug 2017
ADA Mini M Iwagumi Style - Sep 2017
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMensch View Post
Hey Tnalp is that a fan at the top of your tanks? Mind if I ask where you got them?

Also, nice carpet! Very clean.

Thank you! Yep if you go on amazon and search aquarium fan they should pop up.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 09:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

Just aqua soil and go with the flow

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

My Tanks

|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi, i live just around the corner from the green machine in the uk and they swear by additives etc but they have tons of money and stock loads of it on the shelf. Oh yes and its expensive as hell for what you get. There are loads of other cheaper options out there but as all the others have said, ADA was first sold to us as an idea that its a complete subtrate, all singing, all dancing and packed with everything you need for stunning plant growth. I'm new to using it, no additives and mine are doing ok.
What i have done in the past it use fert tablets and crushed them up and spread them under the gravel on a layer of tropica plant subtrate and had amazing results. Much cheaper option. My little tank is about 2 months old and is doing great with amazonia on its own. My big tank is a week old, a combination of tropica subtrate, gravel and ada in some areas and thats doing ok too. Tnalp is right though its just something new for people to buy thats costs a lot. Good luck

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Big tank, 76gallon & little tank, 40ltrs

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-30-2017 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
rs1
Algae Grower

Great looking tanks. Are all of those lights ADA lights?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1 View Post
Great looking tanks. Are all of those lights ADA lights?

twinstar

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode