• 4 Post By Seattle_Aquarist
  • 2 Post By Dracer1661

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cheep alternative

Hi everyone
I was looking for cheep alternatives to flourite or eco complete for my 55gallon.
I am ideally looking for
Something dark in color
High in cec
Won't break down and deteriorate.

I have been doing a lot of research on this and am leaning towards some type of clay. I don't want to do a dirt tank with a cap I would probably end up with a must mess.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Location: Park City KS (Our House consists of, 4 glass boxes 5 miniature dachshunds and a black cat)
I like the Turface which is a clay particulate, it comes in four colors. I chose the pro red which is similar to a burnt orange color. So far all my plants seem to be doing ok. I do add five drops of Thrive after a weekly 50% water change. Just be sure you do not get the wet clay material. I did by mistake so now I have a clay bed with the regular particle cap.

Less than $20 a 50lb sack.

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have heard good things about it I'm not sure where to find it though. Is it something I might find at Lowe's or home depot or somewhere else

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 04:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Daqcer1661,

First of all welcome to TPT!

You may want to check out Safe-t-sorb, a calcined clay product with a high CEC. Available at Tractor Supply Company for $6.49 for 40#. If you want an inert substrate check out Black Diamond Blasting Sand./ Grit, nice black color but can scratch glass, get the medium grit size 20/40 50# for $7.49 at Tractor Supply.

10 gallon, no CO2, Safe-t-sorb
xmas_one, xmas_one, Aqua99 and 1 others like this.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 01:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracer1661 View Post
Hi everyone
I was looking for cheep alternatives to flourite or eco complete for my 55gallon.
I am ideally looking for
Something dark in color
High in cec
Won't break down and deteriorate.

I have been doing a lot of research on this and am leaning towards some type of clay. I don't want to do a dirt tank with a cap I would probably end up with a must mess.
Thank you
Just to try to help keep the facts straight. Flourite has been tested and has a very low CEC. I believe EC is the same.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 02:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Location: Park City KS (Our House consists of, 4 glass boxes 5 miniature dachshunds and a black cat)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracer1661 View Post
I have heard good things about it I'm not sure where to find it though. Is it something I might find at Lowe's or home depot or somewhere else
I found my supplier through the Turface webpage. Turface Athletics | The #1 Conditioner on America?s Most Playable Fields

There are three suppliers in my city and one was considerably cheaper than the other two, so if there are several options where you live call them all and check prices, don't forget to take travel distance into the equation. The cheapest place for me was about half a block from my office so double bonus!

I am no expert (probably the farthest from being an expert on here) but my plants seem to like the stuff, and while they are not growing as fast as I would like (patience is not something I was gifted with) they are doing quite well. My lighting is not LED and no CO2 either, which could explain the slow growth. Maybe one day I will go high tech but at the moment it is not a viable proposition.

Keep us informed as I would be interested in learning how you go on with yours

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi everyone thanks for the responses I decide to go with the safe t sorb. I looked into getting turface and I can get it the only local supplier will only sell in bulk to golf corses or baseball feilds. I did see on other posts about the safe t sorb really changing the ph has this changed as of recently I do not notice a big change in mine currently?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode