Substrate Help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Substrate Help

I currently have a 180g tank that is bare bottom and am looking to get a substrate and potentially plant the tank. I love the idea of a red clay type look so I was thinking of either eco-complete red or flourite red. I then found commentary about ADA, turface, and others. My ultimate question is what substrate in a reddish color is available plus I don't want to worry about it deteriorating. I don't want to be in the scenario where I need to replace the substrate in 2-5+ years unless I really want to.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 01:56 PM
Planted Member

Flourite lasts forever with no need to replace (according to their info, I've not been using it long enough to verify this) but you want to rinse it very very well or plan to remove the fish for a couple days and drain the tank.... You'll need to rinse regardless though. I wouldn't advise adding it with water in the tank, I've never been able to rinse it well enough myself to trust doing that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Location: Park City KS (Our House consists of, 4 glass boxes 5 miniature dachshunds and a black cat)
If you like the red look I can highly recommend Turface.

Find a Distributor | Turface Athletics

My only warning would be make sure you get the particulate form, there is one that is more like a wet clay, yeah not a great idea.

There are two colors, a red (more like a burnt orange) and a much darker red, more like a brown. I paid less than $20 (including taxes) for a 50lb sack, I imagine 5 or 6 sacks would take care of a tank that size. I have a similar substrate in a 150 (Black) and it has lasted 10 years I imagine if you use ferts CO2 and the correct lighting you will be just fine.

(No expert here, just a bit of experience here and there)

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 02:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Eco complete and flourite are nearly the same, flourite tends to be much more dusty, whereas i didn't rinse eco-complete and my water was cloudy for all of a couple hours. ADA aquasoil will break down eventually, it does take a while though. All soils will break down over time.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieD View Post

My only warning would be make sure you get the particulate form, there is one that is more like a wet clay, yeah not a great idea.

There are two colors, a red (more like a burnt orange) and a much darker red, more like a brown. I paid less than $20 (including taxes) for a 50lb sack, I imagine 5 or 6 sacks would take care of a tank that size. I have a similar substrate in a 150 (Black) and it has lasted 10 years I imagine if you use ferts CO2 and the correct lighting you will be just fine.

Looks like they have the below grades. Do you know which you have? Also, I take it this stuff requires heavy cleaning?

Turface MVP® — The larger particle size is excellent for incorporating into the infield mix to resist compaction and control moisture.

Turface Pro League® — Smaller, more uniform particles and color options of natural, red, Heritage Red™ and Champion Brown™ make this conditioner the choice of most Major League groundskeepers for unsurpassed performance and just the right aesthetic! Learn more about the complete Pro League lineup.

Turface Quick Dry® — Its fine particle size makes it the perfect choice for eliminating puddles and standing water. And it works effectively without caking or hardening. There's a reason Quick Dry is called the game saver!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieD View Post

Looks like they have the below grades. Do you know which you have? Also, I take it this stuff requires heavy cleaning?

Turface MVP® — The larger particle size is excellent for incorporating into the infield mix to resist compaction and control moisture.

Turface Pro League® — Smaller, more uniform particles and color options of natural, red, Heritage Red™ and Champion Brown™ make this conditioner the choice of most Major League groundskeepers for unsurpassed performance and just the right aesthetic! Learn more about the complete Pro League lineup.

Turface Quick Dry® — Its fine particle size makes it the perfect choice for eliminating puddles and standing water. And it works effectively without caking or hardening. There's a reason Quick Dry is called the game saver!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Location: Park City KS (Our House consists of, 4 glass boxes 5 miniature dachshunds and a black cat)
>>Looks like they have the below grades. Do you know which you have? Also, I take it this stuff requires heavy cleaning?

Turface Quick Dry® — Its fine particle size makes it the perfect choice for eliminating puddles and standing water. And it works effectively without caking or hardening. There's a reason Quick Dry is called the game saver!<<

The one they had in stock at my supplier was the Turface Pro League and the colour was Heritage Red, I'm still seeing burnt orange but hey ya gets what ya pays for

George who was the salesman at the store told me they had the other colour options at the beginning of the season but at this late date in the season ya gets what we got. Imagine a New York accent "ya gets what we got, got it"? The hilarious part was this was in Wichita Kansas, and the typical accent is definitely not New York'ish.

I did not have to clean mine, I held the bag up and gently emptied the bag into the tank, added the water very slowly and then ran two Penguin HOB filters for 24 hours, VOILA clean as a whistle!

Maybe I was just lucky and in hind sight I would dump it from the sack into a tote, place a rock or a brick under one end and let a garden hose run in it for a while, the bulk of the stuff you don't want will be washed out.

Have fun and keep us posted.

SD

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzafi View Post
I currently have a 180g tank that is bare bottom and am looking to get a substrate and potentially plant the tank. I love the idea of a red clay type look so I was thinking of either eco-complete red or flourite red. I then found commentary about ADA, turface, and others. My ultimate question is what substrate in a reddish color is available plus I don't want to worry about it deteriorating. I don't want to be in the scenario where I need to replace the substrate in 2-5+ years unless I really want to.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Use dirt from your yard and cover it with small lava rock gravel. I used black for mine but I am sure it comes in red. You can still use c02 and bright lights to get accelerated growth but you can also ignore it and it will still grow. Check into low tech tanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode