Couple Substrate questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Couple Substrate questions

Currently have a 12" Cube tank that has 6+ year old ADA Amazonia soil in it. I'm assuming it's more or less loss its buffering capabilities. I use RO/DI water in the tank to top it off and when I do a water change (roughly every 2-4 weeks about a gallon and half), I use Salty Shrimp Bee Shrimp Mineral GH/KH to remineralize the RO/DI water. I'm assuming this is proper remineralizer I'm supposed to be using with a substrate that has been depleted. I checked my GH and KH levels in the tank and they where good to slightly low side IIRC (didn't write it down). I'll up date this post when I get home from work and retest it.

I'm about to setup a Marineland Portrait Aquarium which is about 5-Gallon with some leftover ADA Amazonia soil that I had from the above tank (was planning on setting up more but lost interest in the hobby at the time). I'll be housing a Betta and some Red Cherry Shrimp in the tank. Plan on having it well planted with hiding spots for the shrimps, just incase the betta feels frisky with his tank mates. So since this soil will be buffering, I should be remineralizing the water with just Salty Shrimp Bee Shrimp Mineral GH then?

My third tank I'll be setting up is a 40 gallon planted tank with Controsoil. Once again this is a buffering soil so, just Salty Shrimp Bee Shrimp Mineral GH to remineralize the RO/DI water? When should I worry about switching over to adding KH to these newer substrates?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Why not use just tap water?
Cherry shrimp and betta are tolerant of a wide range of water GH,pH.
Plain topsoil could then be used underneath a sand or fine gravel cap.
Outside spigot or wash machine spigot are maybe not hooked to water softener or R/O unit?
For no more water than you need for tanks mentioned,would be the way for me.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Why not use just tap water?
The current tank has Crystal Red Shrimp in it, which need better water parameters and the 40 Gallon might become their permanent home down the road

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode