2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question ADA Amazonia questions

Hi All,

I'm new so a big hello

I'm changing my planted 20g tank that has guppies, shrimp and small BN plecos (they will be moved to a bigger tank) from Seachem flourish black topped with aragonite to ADA Amazonia soil (9L) and powder (3L) topped with play sand for my new peppered corys. For starters is there any issue with this setup?

Can I put the ADA soil in a tote to let it leech out all of the ammonia? Also, does the powder leech ammonia?

The reason I'm asking is I don't have a spare tank so, I would have to house the current fish in a tote. I would have trouble doing a lot of wc due to a serious knee injury

Any help would be very welcome
Nigel95 and Nigel95 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 11:36 AM
Planted Member

Yes it does leech ammonia considerably. There are ways to speed up the process however you end up sucking nutrients out of the substrate in order to speed it up and cuts the life of the substrate by doing so which only means you will have to replace it sooner than later. Personally I would do the opposite of what you pointed out. Put the ADA in a tote and let the ammonia leech into the tote. Do weekly water change on that and let the fish stay relaxed for now rather than a double move for them. Just make sure that ammonia reads 0 on that tote which can take 2-4 weeks pending. Others may have other ideas as well.

The use of the tote maybe a pain later when transferring fish out of the tank but over all easier for you and the fish.

"It's not so much about keeping fish or plants, it's about keeping clean water."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by katas View Post
Yes it does leech ammonia considerably. There are ways to speed up the process however you end up sucking nutrients out of the substrate in order to speed it up and cuts the life of the substrate by doing so which only means you will have to replace it sooner than later. Personally I would do the opposite of what you pointed out. Put the ADA in a tote and let the ammonia leech into the tote. Do weekly water change on that and let the fish stay relaxed for now rather than a double move for them. Just make sure that ammonia reads 0 on that tote which can take 2-4 weeks pending. Others may have other ideas as well.
Thanks for the reply Yeah, that was I had been planning. Does the powder also leech like the soil?

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 11:43 AM
Planted Member

As far as I know any of the ADA Amazonia does no matter the grain size. Potentially could leech faster due to small grain size but nothing I have tested extensively. There might be a difference between the type 1 and type 2 Amazonia leech times though however again no testing. I know the gray bag (type 2) is suppose to be the lighter organic makeup opposed to the colored bag (type 1). Not sure which you may have but something to be aware of. Took my ADA type 1 normal grain size two weeks to leech with weekly water changes.

"It's not so much about keeping fish or plants, it's about keeping clean water."

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
As far as I know any of the ADA Amazonia does no matter the grain size. Potentially could leech faster due to small grain size but nothing I have tested extensively. There might be a difference between the type 1 and type 2 Amazonia leech times though however again no testing. I know the gray bag (type 2) is suppose to be the lighter organic makeup opposed to the colored bag (type 1). Not sure which you may have but something to be aware of. Took my ADA type 1 normal grain size two weeks to leech with weekly water changes.
This is the soil I received

same as the powder type.

Last edited by jmf81; 07-26-2017 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Formatting
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 12:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Personally I would really reconsider the the idea of topping AquaSoil with play sand.

My reason for saying this is, the sand will eventually just settle into all the open pore space around the AquaSoil and in the end you will have AS on top of sand.

I'd pick one or the other and avoid the mixing. Just my 2 cents.
ichristos and ichristos like this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipfinger View Post
Personally I would really reconsider the the idea of topping AquaSoil with play sand.

My reason for saying this is, the sand will eventually just settle into all the open pore space around the AquaSoil and in the end you will have AS on top of sand.

I'd pick one or the other and avoid the mixing. Just my 2 cents.
Is the soil ok with corys?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 12:08 PM
Planted Member

I completely agree with @slipfinger. Brain totally skipped over your note on that. @jmf81 the soil is fine for Corys, at least my 9 Dwarf Corys have no issues at all and are fat. The soil you have is type 2. In my opinion the better of the two types.

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I completely agree with @slipfinger. Brain totally skipped over your note on that. @jmf81 the soil is fine for Corys, at least my 9 Dwarf Corys have no issues at all and are fat. The soil you have is type 2. In my opinion the better of the two types.
Cool, that is actually really good news. I would like a change from sand substrate to something darker plus less work
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 12:19 PM
Planted Member

Haha hold that tongue on less work.... only downsize to ADA aside from the ammonia is the grains will eventually break down to a "mud". Also the life span of 2 years pending if you use buffers because ADA buffers the water already and if you want a higher PH then you are fighting that very effect.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Haha hold that tongue on less work.... only downsize to ADA aside from the ammonia is the grains will eventually break down to a "mud". Also the life span of 2 years pending if you use buffers because ADA buffers the water already and if you want a higher PH then you are fighting that very effect.
I just meant less work than having to wash and wash and wash the play sand lol. I have heard that but also heard people using it for years so I'm a little confused.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 12:37 PM
Planted Member

It does last for a while from what I have heard. I just started using it a couple months ago personally. However if you use those buffers... shortens the life span considerably from others experiences (only makes sense). Always considered the variables. Good luck and look forward to seeing your tank pictures once you are all setup!

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
It does last for a while from what I have heard. I just started using it a couple months ago personally. However if you use those buffers... shortens the life span considerably from others experiences (only makes sense). Always considered the variables. Good luck and look forward to seeing your tank pictures once you are all setup!
Thanks, my plants are already growing like crazy. I thought it was a good idea to get some duckweed and banana lilies....not a good idea lol
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

ADA Amazonia questions

Something to consider is it will be buffering the substrate as @katas said so it will turn any kh to no kh. So the more kh you have in the water the faster you will deplete it. Highly recommended to use remineralize RO water for buffering substrate using a gh booster and not adding any kh. If not you will greatly reduce the buffering capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
Something to consider is it will be buffering the substrate as @katas said so it will turn any kh to no kh. So the more kh you have in the water the faster you will deplete it. Highly recommended to use remineralize RO water for buffering substrate using a gh booster and not adding any kh. If not you will greatly reduce the buffering capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would love to, but due to not being able to work because of illness and this stupid knee, so money is very tight, unfortunately. I haven't in the past really looked into Gh and Kh but yesterday purchased a test kit for it. Well test tap water tonight and report.

Tags
ada amazonia, substate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode