How much inches? - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes
  • 2 Post By SKYE.__.HIGH
  • 4 Post By Dman911
  • 2 Post By Colin Wrexham
  • 4 Post By Dman911
  • 2 Post By Esteban Colberto
  • 2 Post By Bogey
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Bogey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 303
How much inches?

Ok so i added about 1.4inch of ADA substrate on the front and 1.7inch on the back. Just wondering if this is ideal for drawf hairgrass growth and or rotala rondfonda.

- Adam
Bogey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 11:21 PM
Planted Member
 
Esteban Colberto's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 291
I do almost 2 in the front and 2.75 in the back roughly but I like the slope. I run several different plants and they all seem to do fine. Honestly you are probably fine with what you have but be careful if you are planting with tongs that you don't bang the bottom to hard.
Esteban Colberto is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
SKYE.__.HIGH's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 736
Usually you should have at least 2 in. A lot of times you have 3 inches but the more the merrier.
SKYE.__.HIGH is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 11:32 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
Ok so i added about 1.4inch of ADA substrate on the front and 1.7inch on the back. Just wondering if this is ideal for drawf hairgrass growth and or rotala rondfonda.
Just measured and for my DHG 1.5" is about the deepest the roots go with the odd one a little deeper. Not sure about the rotala

Dan
Dman911 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Colin Wrexham's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Wrexham North wales UK
Posts: 417
Having a slope creates depth to the tank visually. 2inches at the front is plenty. All depends where you are planning on planting it and your layout if you are just planting or aquascaping. My big tank slopes up to around 10inches in one area lol. If its aquasoil you should be able to split the bunch up into fine threads. Plant them a cm apart to get more coverage. If you are using ferts and co2 you should see a difference in about 6 weeks. Just make sure you have good low level flow if using co2 😀

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
Colin Wrexham is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Bogey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
Just measured and for my DHG 1.5" is about the deepest the roots go with the odd one a little deeper. Not sure about the rotala

Dan
Alright i guess drawf only thanks!

- Adam
Bogey is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:22 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
Alright i guess drawf only thanks!
I'm guessing you want to go deeper and don't have enough aquasoil to do so? If you haven't flooded or planted or wet your soil down you could remove it and add some lava rock (crushed or small pieces) or other to the bottom of the tank like 1/2-1" then cover with aquasoil. You can buy lava rock from most hardware stores cheap, its used for BBQ's. Also have a little trick to keep your water clean when filling your tank for the first time depending on the size of tank use either a garbage bag or poly and place it in the tank like you would a garbage can so the opening is over the top sides. Then fill with water and poke a few holes in the bottom. Then use a box cutter to slowly and carefully cut from the center to one corner and up the side. Then slowly (key slow) pull the bag out from the opposite corner of the cut. This will prevent a lot of the cloudiness from the aquasoil or any dirt from that matter from becoming mixed into the water when filling.

Dan
Dman911 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:50 AM
Planted Member
 
Esteban Colberto's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
I'm guessing you want to go deeper and don't have enough aquasoil to do so? If you haven't flooded or planted or wet your soil down you could remove it and add some lava rock (crushed or small pieces) or other to the bottom of the tank like 1/2-1" then cover with aquasoil. You can buy lava rock from most hardware stores cheap, its used for BBQ's. Also have a little trick to keep your water clean when filling your tank for the first time depending on the size of tank use either a garbage bag or poly and place it in the tank like you would a garbage can so the opening is over the top sides. Then fill with water and poke a few holes in the bottom. Then use a box cutter to slowly and carefully cut from the center to one corner and up the side. Then slowly (key slow) pull the bag out from the opposite corner of the cut. This will prevent a lot of the cloudiness from the aquasoil or any dirt from that matter from becoming mixed into the water when filling.

Dan
I'm totally stealing that fill method. Nice one sir.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.
Esteban Colberto is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Bogey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
I'm guessing you want to go deeper and don't have enough aquasoil to do so? If you haven't flooded or planted or wet your soil down you could remove it and add some lava rock (crushed or small pieces) or other to the bottom of the tank like 1/2-1" then cover with aquasoil. You can buy lava rock from most hardware stores cheap, its used for BBQ's. Also have a little trick to keep your water clean when filling your tank for the first time depending on the size of tank use either a garbage bag or poly and place it in the tank like you would a garbage can so the opening is over the top sides. Then fill with water and poke a few holes in the bottom. Then use a box cutter to slowly and carefully cut from the center to one corner and up the side. Then slowly (key slow) pull the bag out from the opposite corner of the cut. This will prevent a lot of the cloudiness from the aquasoil or any dirt from that matter from becoming mixed into the water when filling.

Dan
Yeah the only problem is the hard scape is already in place :[ But amazing idea! I might just only do drawf hair grass. It is a Iwagumi setup.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Wrexham View Post
Having a slope creates depth to the tank visually. 2inches at the front is plenty. All depends where you are planning on planting it and your layout if you are just planting or aquascaping. My big tank slopes up to around 10inches in one area lol. If its aquasoil you should be able to split the bunch up into fine threads. Plant them a cm apart to get more coverage. If you are using ferts and co2 you should see a difference in about 6 weeks. Just make sure you have good low level flow if using co2 😀

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
Woah 10 inches? Thats almost the height of my ten gal haha
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

- Adam
Bogey is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome