Help Please! BDBS Grade and Bottom Dwellers Question - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Roshan8768

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question Help Please! BDBS Grade and Bottom Dwellers Question

Ok, so I have been reading a lot of posts about Black Diamond Blasting Sand and using it as substrate. I know some swear by it, others hate it. I have read 20/40 a.k.a. medium grit is the best grit a.k.a. grade to get for a mix of plants and bottom dwellers. My problem comes in with my local TSC. They only carry the medium/coarse or 20/40 mixed with 10/12. I really wanted to ask if this would be too rough on cory cats and ottos before I bought it. I love my fish and want to make an informed choice, not just chance it. Can anyone out there help me and advise me on the best course of action for my fish? Anyone have any experience with the coarse grade and bottom dwellers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 05:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

No experience per say, but plenty of people have been keeping cories on black diamond for years with no issues. In my experience, barbel erosion on these fish is more a product of poor water quality and bacterial infection than sharp substrates. With that said, I have only used medium grit and that has been no issue. I would go for it, should work fine
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.

My 20 Gallon Low Tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

35 Gallon Kettle Pond

Twin 2.5 Gallon Nanos

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Roshan8768! And I misspoke. It is a mix of 20/40 grit and 12/40 grit. For some reason my brain insisted it was 10/12. LOL I Just wanted to ask and get the opinions of others before I tried it. I worry about my swimmy little ones. I want to do whats best for them.

Mary

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 05:44 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Juliis do just fine on eco-complete and there barbels look great. I'm sure any sort of sand will be just fine. Sometimes the lower (bigger) grits are hard to find. I was looking forever for some garnet blasting media about 10 grit which is like 2mm but at that size the only thing I found was a 50lb bag. Way too much for my 10 gallon aquarium.

I use this chart a lot.

Oh and I hit lots of forums and I've never heard any bad comments about BDBS only good ones. I think you are making a fine decision.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you Esteban! That chart is great! The BDBS is actually just a little finer than what I have now. It's awesome to know that.

Mary
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 03:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I used to keep Peppered Corys with BDBS and they were just fine, although it was the medium grit. I agree that water quality is more of a factor regarding barbel erosion. I think they would be fine with the coarse stuff. Just my 2 cents!

Last edited by ac0xr; 07-04-2017 at 03:57 PM. Reason: ..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode