• 2 Post By Dman911
  • 2 Post By poliad
  • 6 Post By poliad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
chocolate milk tank

So I'm starting a planted 55 gal tank, using CaribSea Flora Max and Seachem Flourite for substrate, 1:1 ratio. Rinsed the stuff 3 times, put it in the tank. Used the plate to add water, but still, my tank looks like it's full of chocolate milk, see attached. The plate is still in there, believe it or not. Question is, will this HoB with Marineland bonded filter pads ever clear this up? Or is it water changes for weeks?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170620_185917353_1498001197042.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	765993  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 11:48 PM
Algae Grower

I don't want to laugh, but that is pretty funny...

Water changes definitely. If you have a spare powerhead, you could rig up a temp water polisher?
ChrisX, ChrisX, poliad and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 12:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

When I use Flourite, I rinse it in small batches and it still never really gets clean until it has been in the tank for awhile.

Water changes will help as will vacuuming to get rid of any dust that has settled.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 12:29 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
It will definitely clear up with time, but might take several days.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 12:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would take some polywool/filter floss and pack the space behind the cartridge with it if you have laying around. Then just pull it out each day and rinse in tap water to get the sediment out and put it back in until it clears.

Added: In the future this is what I did when filling my tank initially when using ADA aquasoil to prevent cloudiness, I found this somewhere on the net. Add your substrate to the tank then take a garbage bag and put it in the tank and fold it over the rim (I had to use poly used for vapor barrier because of the tank size but same principle) This way you fill the garbage bag with water and it won't disturb the substrate. Then take pair if scissors (or box cutter if careful) and poke a couple holes in the bottom of the bag and let the water dribble into the substrate. Very slowly start at a corner at the bottom of the tank and and cut the plastic up to the top. Then very slowly lift the bag out of the water. It worked amazing for me and my water was dam near perfectly clear.

Dan
poliad and poliad like this.

Last edited by Dman911; 06-21-2017 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Added:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks a lot for the replies with good advice everyone. Especially nifty sounding tip Dman911.
This is my first tank that is >10 gallons, so I don't have many of the right tools or equipment yet, like powerheads or canisters or anything, just some basics and a barrel of elbow grease.
Added in a spare sponge filter, it seems to be helping, along with rinsing out these bonded filter pads every half hour or so.
We're already at creek water looks people, so I feel like success is in the air.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

brief update with additional thanks. put in a canister, sunsun hw-304b. that powerhead tip seemed to really work well, put some super dense 100% polyester batting in it to polish off the really fine stuff that was making it back through the sponges in the canister. it looks kinda cloudy in the pic, but you could read a newspaper through it in person.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 08:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
For future reference, the easiest way to clean a new substrate is to put it in an old pillowcase and rinse it with a hose on full blast until it runs clear. Much easier than stirring it in a bucket.

Proud member of
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Planted Member

Just to throw it out there I have a Melnor Water Bubbler on the end of my output hose and turn it to low when filling (high when draining). If I need to slow it down even more I put a quart size ziplock over it with a few small slits cut in the bag.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode